Hunan Deli, Korean-Chinese on Telegraph Square Drive in Lorton

On my way back from the library today, I stopped to pickup a lunch special from Hunan Deli, which despite it's name, serves Korean food. It's in a small strip mall on Telegraph Rd., near Rt. 1. I ordered the jjampong, a spicy seafood soup, & it is delicious. I've had a bit of a cold & congestion, & the taste of this will clear your throat right up! It's a small place w/ just a few tables, but most of them were full with folks happily eating big bowls of yummy looking food. I look forward to going back & trying something else...

The jjampong, packed to go, was a big container (like a Chinese restaurant eggdrop soup), spicy w/ shrimp & octopus, napa cabbage, zucchini (maybe other seafood, but I've only eaten less than half), & a lg. styrofoam container of noodles. At home, I mixed them up. It was very hot, temperature-wise, & I kept my hand on it, on the drive home, fearing it would spill, which it didn't (it was packed quite securely). A lunchtime bargain at $7.95, they had about 12-15 lunch specials, & some Chinese dishes, I guess this would be considered a Chinese-Korean lunch spot. The fried rice bowl I saw one guy eating was HUGE!

Ran in here quite early today for some takeout chow-don't think I ordered properly. The yaki mandoo (I'm using their menu spellings) were very good, no problems there, but I got bokkum bap (fried rice) & it wasn't quite what I expected-a big scoop of white rice, a big scoop of japchae, & a serving of bulgogi beef, w/ a few shredded carrots. The beef was mild (I was hoping for a little heat, so I dumped on the spicy dipping sauce from the mandoo), it was good (hungry teenager polished off what I didn't eat), but not really fried rice. I should have gotten the bibimbap...

House of Dynasty has a new website to celebrate their 30th anniversary.

I'm a fan of Hunan Deli down Telegraph Square Drive. Predominately a Korean menu, but they do some nice Koreanized versions of Chinese dishes. I like their Szechuan Spicy Crispy Pork and their Korean Sweet and Sour Pork isn't drowned in sickly sauce; you can actually taste the vegetables.