Zed's Bistro and Wine Bar, Gainesville - Closed

Thanks to the heads-up from Tom Sietsema in last Wednesday's Post food section, I took the family to the new branch of the venerable Zed's in Gainesville, VA.

Now, I know Zed's' days as the go-to Ethiopian spot in DC are long past, but Sietsema enjoyed the Gainesville outpost so we decided to give it a shot.

Verdict: Very enjoyable. While the food is dumbed down a bit, it's still very interesting. The spice mixes are very appealing, different yet not too off-the-wall for a suburban clientele that wants to try something different that's not too bizarre. Our twins, who can be pretty picky, loved the shrimp tibbs. I mean, they devoured it. They liked the injera bread and rice too.

I particularly liked the cheese and mushroom appetizers. Some of the side dishes -- peas and what I think were lentils -- had a good level of heat as well.

This was a pretty ballsy move for Zed's. This new place is in a new plaza, with zero street visibility (it's behind the White Tigers tae kwon do school). I hope they make a go of it.

We've been there a couple of times. My husband more...once they were closing up and when they saw him they reopened the kitchen! The food is good, if dumbed down like you say, but then again this is Gainesville and people can be stupid!

We've been there a couple of times. My husband more...once they were closing up and when they saw him they reopened the kitchen! The food is good, if dumbed down like you say, but then again this is Gainesville and people can be stupid!

Well, it's no surprise that good, semi-exotic food can't survive a ridiculously bad location. Zed's in Gainesville has closed. Why couldn't they find a better location? :)