Spottswood Dining Room at Big Meadows Lodge, Skyline Drive in Luray

Took one of the bikes and one of the GF's up to Skyline Drive this weekend for a getaway. The scenery is quite wonderful...the rooms are pretty decent...the food is...a crapshoot ohmy.gif

Aramark runs the concessions for the whole park and they've sold their soul to Pespi..which sucks ass..Yep..I'm a COKE guy wink.gif

one night, we started in the Taproom with just drinks and an appetizer of Nachos....picture tri colored corn chips, cold melted cheese, crappy guacomole, sour cream and salsa....seriously the WORST nachos ever..and I wasnt even drunk...YET huh.gif Moving upstairs to the main dining room, we started with fried mozzarella and a wedge salad----Decent and hard to screw up....even for ARAMARK

Mains were Fried Chicken and prime rib.....Chicken was pretty darn good..mash pots, not so much. Prime rib was cooked as ordered- med rare and baked potato was about 20 mins past its prime...$62 for that a a few beers, so all in all..edible and filling

Next day fiasco at the wayside store/carry out/ sit down dining was hellish. walked in around 11 am..just after what appeared to be a mass breakfast exodus..to a completely dirty and un bussed dining area. I felt for the servers..for many reasons..not limited to their working conditions, education and hand dealt in life wink.gif but they are just very nice, hard working people, doing their job as best they can..and I cannot fault them for that, even when I make a condescending joke at their expense. It took about 15 mins for someone to come over to us and say hi...she handed us menus and took our drink order. breakfast was over and a limited, no frills lunch menu was available. GF went with chicken sandwich, I went with Va ham sandwich. Both had fries and both were served on a ciabatta bun. Mine was great, as I love Va ham..hers was pretty bland and tasteless. Fries rocked!!!! Asked for check and chatted up the server as to what seemed like a hellish morning for her..she explained that they only had 2 servers and a trainee..I felt for her and she actually remarked that my gf didnt eat her food...I told her that it just didnt taste like anything...so she removes it from the check. That server had more common sense than most of the waiters I've encountered here in DC when noticing unfinished food. She got herself a great tip and we went on to enjoy a beautiful, if not scorching day coming down the mountain wink.gif