Celadon Thai, Thai on Rolling and Old Keene Mill Road - Whole Foods Plaza in Springfield - Closed

Please, oh please, make the Springfield location be the next to close. Please!

(News alert -- in that same plaza, down from Whole Foods, a new Thai restaurant is about to open -- Thai Celadon....field report to follow).

If the Thai place is any good it will be the first place in that shopping center. Not holding my breath.

Three of us had dinner at the new Celadon Thai in Springfield last night, on the restaurant's second day of business. We took one for the team -- everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. I recommend a wait-and-see on this place....if they can get over the early growing pain, there may be some potential here.

The place was packed on a Sunday night, generally a good sign. Unfortunately, they do not have a liquor license yet. That would have been helpful, considering we waited two hours for our food. Apparently, the kitchen was backed up with take-out orders and two people didn't show up -- one of whom had a family emergency -- and did I mention there was no liquor license yet? A few tables around us had similar problems, including a young family with a baby who decided to leave and take their food with them, but the Dad still had to wait another hour for the food to arrive.

We were given lots of apologies and the manager comp'd us 50% in order to make sure we came back. I decided to be polite and wait it out, hoping the food would be worth the wait. Unfortunately, the food appeared to be rushed (after two hours?) and not too spicy. It wasn't bad, just above average.

On the positive side, the place is nicely appointed, almost subdued in a Four Sisters kind of color motif. It has the look and feel of what could be a pleasant neighborhood restaurant, but right now, the Springfield area had plenty of good Thai places in House of Siam, Tommy Thai and Thai Cafe.

Growing pains aside, this was as close to a disastrous second night as any restaurant could have. I wish the owners well.

What a difference two months makes. I gave Celadon Thai another try last night, and it was worth it.

This nicely appointed restaurant in a strip mall now has a full liquor license, with an interesting menu of drinks and a so-so wine list. We had a bottle of Lindeman's chardonnay for $22. The restaurant was two-thirds full on a Tuesday evening around the 8:00 hour, and service was friendly and responsive.

Lady Kibbee had what she declared to be a very good seafood yum, or salad, as he main, while I went with the pad kee mau, or drunken noodles, with a combination of chicken, beef and shrimp. The flavors were good, the ingredients were fresh, the portions were ample and the overall experience was far above the first sampling about two months ago.

My only complaint about the meal was the muted spiciness. There was subtle spice detected, certainly not even as hot as "American spicy", so next time I'll have to specify more heat. That is rare in Thai restaurants.

I had lunch here today-the space is very nice & the service was excellent. I had the lunch special of chicken pad grapow, & remembering your review, KN, I asked for it to be spicy. It came w/ a spring roll, which was forgettable (it had honey drizzled on the plate & I prefer a spicier dipping sauce). The chicken was on the lunch menu as a rice bowl, so it was served over the rice, while my friend's green chicken curry had the rice on the side, which I prefer. I liked that the chicken was minced, & there was some crispy fried basil, but it was a little dry (not enough sauce & maybe 3 tiny slivers of peppers & onions) & while it was spicy enough (I think our waitress was concerned, because I was coughing & drinking lots of water, but I have a cold & normally drink tons of water), it was kind of one-note. It was good average thai food, I still prefer Thai Nakorn & Thai Cafe, but it's always fun to try someplace new...

Reasonable meal at Celadon Thai on a Sunday afternoon, party of eight.

We had the place to ourselves on a Sunday afternoon at 3pm, so nothing significant to report about the service. The food was typically middlin' -- not great, not memorable. I had the larb gai and the pad kee maw, and they were flavorful but not spicy. Lady KN had the seafood special, with nice chunks of fresh scallops, shrimp, squid and veggies, in a tasty sauce.

Total bill with eight people and a few appetizers and Thai beers thrown in, plus tax and tip, came to $150. Not too bad....

Sign in the window today says 'Closed for renovations.'  Uh huh. Windows are covered with paper.  I'd be very surprised if this place reopens as the same restaurant.  The food was not good at all and there was rarely anyone in the place.