Tagine

wlohmann

Hey all, I've searched forums for any indication that someone's asked this one before to no avail. Have become fixated on traditional moroccan cooking using a tagine - - my online search has yielded a bewildering array of choices and some concern about seasoning the vessel, use on an open gas flame, breakage during shipment, etc. Best reviews seem to be for one marketed by Emile Henry (sold through amazon and at Sur la Table). Apparently safe for gas flame without a "diffuser" which seems like an important feature. Anyone have wisdom to impart??? Many thanks!

After picking up a lovely lot of Le Souk Ceramique dishes, bowls, & a tagine off of Craigslist a few weeks ago, I got similarly obsessed, especially after finding out my beautiful tagine was decorative & not meant for cooking. I searched tons of old posts on CH & egullet (very helpful), & after getting a fast & courteous reply to my inquiry about the pattern (which is Safia & has been discontinued), I decided to go w/ the Le Souk cookable tagine. I had already checked it out on Amazon (it seems like all the colors were different prices-weird), got the pistachio green one, direct from Le Souk quickly, for $45, shipping included. Now, I have yet to cook in it, because I haven't got a diffuser yet (going with a simmer mat, I think). The other one that I was considering was from Sur la Table . Good luck w/ your hunt, we'll have to compare notes when I get my diffuser & start cooking in it -I also have a glass top stove that I'm nervous about...

After picking up a lovely lot of Le Souk Ceramique dishes, bowls, & a tagine off of Craigslist a few weeks ago, I got similarly obsessed, especially after finding out my beautiful tagine was decorative & not meant for cooking. I searched tons of old posts on CH & egullet (very helpful), & after getting a fast & courteous reply to my inquiry about the pattern (which is Safia & has been discontinued), I decided to go w/ the Le Souk cookable tagine. I had already checked it out on Amazon (it seems like all the colors were different prices-weird), got the pistachio green one, direct from Le Souk quickly, for $45, shipping included. Now, I have yet to cook in it, because I haven't got a diffuser yet (going with a simmer mat, I think). The other one that I was considering was from Sur la Table . Good luck w/ your hunt, we'll have to compare notes when I get my diffuser & start cooking in it -I also have a glass top stove that I'm nervous about...

Oh do let me know how the Le Souk one works out. Online reviews looked pretty good on those (once they arrived intact) but the requirement of the diffuser for use with direct gas flame just seemed like a complication that could doom the experiment for me (I just know I would lose that diffuser and be finished.....). I think both Sur la Table and Williams carry the Emile Henri - - not as traditional but a little more user-friendly for the gas stove. Saw it on Williams website and went to Old Town store on a whim to try and get it - - sold out and not restocking (though, oddly, they DID have for sale a gorgeous brass (?) Moroccan "couscousier" for $200 - - I mean I like interesting cookware as much as the next person but a "couscousier"?? I must admit I am feeling a little foolish about the Tagine-quest - - will it just turnout to be a harder-to-use crock pot?? Well perhaps, but there is something so earthy (literally!) and exotic about it, I can't resist it. Keep me posted!!