Dried Apricots

Ilaine

Trader Joe's!

Nice apricots at Trader Joes, indeed! They make a great addition to my breakfast smoothie/health drink. The Vitamix purees them along with banana, soy milk, silken tofu, and the various nutritional additives, and they do a great job of covering up the taste of nutritional yeast, lecithin, and liquid minerals, much better than blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries.

Bright orange and tangy! Rather than brown and dull. By which, you may suspect, the ones I bought were sulphured. And exactly what I wanted, although I did not realize it. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, sulphur dioxide is generally safe in food unless you are sensitive to it, which apparently I am not.

For some reason, the commissary has been out of regular old CA apricots for 5 weeks now-they had Med apricots (yuck!) for awhile, but now they are totally void of apricots! Has there been an apricot crisis that I know nothing about?

I vaguely recall that there was an apricot crisis but danged if I can recall what it was. Googling about, it appears that without rock-bottom illegal immigrant labor apricots are expensive to produce. And that apricot growing land is being converted to residential neighborhoods.

Something else happened within the past few years but I simply cannot remember what, and google isn't helping. Bad weather? Disease? Competition?

This article suggests that a combination of weather, labor conditions, and competition from Turkey may be the answer.

At any rate, now that I know that I don't need unsulphured apricots, my own consumption will increase. Dramatically.