Shang Hai Best Deli, Eden Center

Shang Hai Best Deli, Eden Center, Falls Church, VA

Posted on December 14, 2010 by Don here on DCDining.com

the best ficelle-like bread (known as quai) I’ve found in Eden Center.

Noodlepie has a very informative piece about this dish here, and what I had looks almost exactly like the picture that has close-ups of the quai.

That quai is known as youtaio (油條) in Chinese, one of my favorite items in a northern Chinese brunch. I also enjoy it with pho, and Pho Sate (in Falls Church) is the only pho joint that I know of that serves it. How big and English friendly is the menu at Shang Hai Best?

That quai is known as youtaio (油條) in Chinese, one of my favorite items in a northern Chinese brunch. I also enjoy it with pho, and Pho Sate (in Falls Church) is the only pho joint that I know of that serves it. How big and English friendly is the menu at Shang Hai Best?

The menu is so small that it almost doesn't exist. There are a few handwritten specials (maybe a half dozen) on a piece of 8 1/2-by-11 paper stuck to the wall, and it's not very English-friendly; there may have been some very minimal translations. Another piece of paper listed the Bánh Mì, and a third listed the Sinh Tố. Shang Hai Best Deli is an odd, unorganized little amalgam, and I don't remember seeing any table-service menus, It sits out right front of Saigon East, though, so you can "duck" in quickly to take a peek at the hanging ducks and pigs.

Cheers,

Rocks