Lump Crab Meat

legant

Hi Everyone.

I want to buy some jumbo lump crab meat to make crab cakes at home. Where can I find good quality at reasonable prices? I have a Restaurant Depot membership but have never actually compared their prices. I have heard that Slavin & Sons in Arlington has great quality but will it break the bank?

Thanks.

Deb

Hi Everyone.

I want to buy some jumbo lump crab meat to make crab cakes at home. Where can I find good quality at reasonable prices? I have a Restaurant Depot membership but have never actually compared their prices. I have heard that Slavin & Sons in Arlington has great quality but will it break the bank?

Thanks.

Deb

Buster's Seafood-Dupont and White House markets. Perhaps not the cheapest, but local. They've been a staple at the markets for a while now. I'm not sure if they're at the Courthouse market in the winter, nor am I confident that they carry their lump crab meat year-round.

That said, I've found Slavin's seafood to be dependably fresh and competitively priced.

We had been getting wonderful fresh jumbo lump at Wegmans for a decent price, but I think the season is over, because now all they have is Pasteurized, which isn't bad, really.

Maine Avenue usually has great selection and really good prices. I've gotten steamed-to-order hardshell crabs there, which were fabulous, and I've stood in the parking lot slurping oysters out of their shells on a styrofoam plate. :) I'd look there for good crabmeat. Just be sure to read the label, because much of it is coming from Asia these days. :)

On 5/4/2018 at 5:38 PM, dracisk said:

The cascading effects of immigration policy.

WashPo is further looking at the issue with  its political implications and the reactions of the local population.  

These days everything is political.  Food is political.  Restaurants are political.  Picking crab meat is political.  Meanwhile right now there are crabs sitting at the southern edge of the bay and the crab meat isn't going to market, nor are the watermen working.     And many of the reactions are political. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaveO said:

“There are different sides to it.”

“Finger-pointing won’t help.”

“Immigration has to be legal.”

“He’s the best president we’ve had in a long time.”

This reminds me of good ol' Mayor James "Ooker" Eskridge and his insistence that global warming isn't destroying Tangier Island. 

A big chunk of the demographic that voted for DJT, will be hurt the most by his pandering policy decisions (see coal miners). And somehow, he won't be to blame.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 6:40 AM, squidsdc said:

Or both..and fraud. WaPo article on diluted crab

When in doubt, this guide shall prove helpful.

Lump crabmeat as of lately has not at all impressed me. I find it to be bland. It may have been due to the fact that it has been sourced from vendors that freeze their crabmeat and is sold in volume to whichever restaurants I have been dining at. If you want the real thing, the only alternative is to pay the expense to pick it on your own.