Dining in Alexandria

The singularly most uninteresting and unimpressive meal I have consumed in my years in Alexandria was at O'Connell's, so I cringe at the thought of what sounds like an outpost in Shirlington.......

---

[The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Caphe Banh Mi (weezy)

Bilbo Baggins (BayingHoundAleworks and Leonard Nimoy)
Mango Mike's (weezy)
Nick's (weezy)]

Casa Rosada Artisan Gelato - (goldenticket)]

Edited by DonRocks

I guess you have never been to Overwood, Bilbo Baggins or the now shuttered Ecco.

You are a true sage, my friend- -at least as to the first two.......though I guess Bilbo Baggins was an exciting place to eat back in the day (gosh, how long HAS that been open?).......and I seem to recall it having some pride of place in terms of an expansive wine list before Alexandria restaurants went in that direction....I'll have to dissent on Ecco.........but again, more from a nostalgia perspective.....when I was first in Alexandria in the 80's, when Ecco opened, it was the very first COOL place in town.....I remember in particular the pasta's which seemed so lovingly fresh and hand-crafted.....it was the first "nouveau-Italian" place we had and was a breath of fresh air next to the already-stale Landini Brothers and the already-long-decomposed (and now mummified) Il Porto.

You are a true sage, my friend- -at least as to the first two.......though I guess Bilbo Baggins was an exciting place to eat back in the day (gosh, how long HAS that been open?).......and I seem to recall it having some pride of place in terms of an expansive wine list before Alexandria restaurants went in that direction....I'll have to dissent on Ecco.........but again, more from a nostalgia perspective.....when I was first in Alexandria in the 80's, when Ecco opened, it was the very first COOL place in town.....I remember in particular the pasta's which seemed so lovingly fresh and hand-crafted.....it was the first "nouveau-Italian" place we had and was a breath of fresh air next to the already-stale Landini Brothers and the already-long-decomposed (and now mummified) Il Porto.

+1, except my history only goes back to the '90's. I loved Ecco's lasagna- it was so decadent and always was too much to eat in one sitting, which meant..leftovers, glorious leftovers. And, ouch! on Overwood. They have one of the best meatloaf dishes around.

+1, except my history only goes back to the '90's. I loved Ecco's lasagna- it was so decadent and always was too much to eat in one sitting, which meant..leftovers, glorious leftovers. And, ouch! on Overwood. They have one of the best meatloaf dishes around.

It might be that I only became aware of Ecco a year or so before its demise, at that point nothing tasted fresh, the calamari was of the "right from the bag" variety and ravioli the same. As for Overwood, well that was the worst meal I have eaten in Alexandria, and that includes a horrific Potomack Landing experience...

-- Now starts the countdown until Don either moves or deletes all of our off-topic posts...

It might be that I only became aware of Ecco a year or so before its demise, at that point nothing tasted fresh, the calamari was of the "right from the bag" variety and ravioli the same. As for Overwood, well that was the worst meal I have eaten in Alexandria, and that includes a horrific Potomack Landing experience...

-- Now starts the countdown until Don either moves or deletes all of our off-topic posts...

Adding to the OT :) Now we're talking- Potowmack Landing (well, it was Indigo at the time, but no difference as far as I'm concerened)- worst meal (brunch, hilariously bad) ever, and yes, Ecco did go downhill at the end. My lasagna was a mere shadow of its old self the last time I ordered it.

How Vermilion stays under the radar is a mystery to me.

Think about this for a sec ... other than the Armstrong Strong Arm :), Rustico Buzz, and perhaps The Dairy Godmother (still thanking the good Lord she (*] didn't name it "That Custard Place in Del Ray," and I'll bet she is, too), what restaurant in Alexandria doesn't stay under the radar?

* Never doubt my unabashed feminism or pronoun disability.

Think about this for a sec ... other than the Armstrong Strong Arm :), Rustico Buzz, and perhaps The Dairy Godmother (still thanking the good Lord she (*] didn't name it "That Custard Place in Del Ray," and I'll bet she is, too), what restaurant in Alexandria doesn't stay under the radar?

* Never doubt my unabashed feminism or pronoun disability.

The Chart House :)

In the early 1980s, nearly 30 years ago, Bilbo Baggins had the best carpaccio in the DC metropolitan area, and an impressive wine program for the time. Now, it sucks.

And Potowmack Landing is the first and last place I have ever had sashimi with a fork.

Yes, there are bad meals to be had all up and down King St.

Potomack Landing nee Indigo Landing is such a wasted opportunity. Such a great setting, such bad food and the worst service ever, almost to the point of being mean. O'Connell's is a major disappointment given the cost of a meal at the place. Looking forward to Virtue opening in the spring.

I need to step up and defend Overwood, which is actually one of my favorite spots in Alex. I've never had a bad meal there, they've got Old Speckled Hen, the sides (mac and cheese) are terrific and I've really enjoyed some of the specials (had a shrimp and grits for lunch that was killer). They used to have the best calamari in town, with this pink sauce whose best comparison I could give you would be the Santa Fe sauce from Taco Bell's gorditas (yeah, I went there), but they've changed the recipe. For that cuisine, it's aces.

As far as worst meals in Alex: Union Street Public House has served us some ghastly meals, from a runny-egg brunch to a Po Boy on stale bread. Mango Mikes used to be a favorite until a couple of experiences involving plastic wrap in the food and undercooked rice. And Indigo Landing, when it was Indigo Landing, was one of the single most overpriced and underwhelming meals I've ever had. Foie hush puppies are a great idea. Too bad they tasted like a bad donut.

I need to step up and defend Overwood, which is actually one of my favorite spots in Alex. I've never had a bad meal there, they've got Old Speckled Hen, the sides (mac and cheese) are terrific and I've really enjoyed some of the specials (had a shrimp and grits for lunch that was killer). They used to have the best calamari in town, with this pink sauce whose best comparison I could give you would be the Santa Fe sauce from Taco Bell's gorditas (yeah, I went there), but they've changed the recipe. For that cuisine, it's aces.

As far as worst meals in Alex: Union Street Public House has served us some ghastly meals, from a runny-egg brunch to a Po Boy on stale bread. Mango Mikes used to be a favorite until a couple of experiences involving plastic wrap in the food and undercooked rice. And Indigo Landing, when it was Indigo Landing, was one of the single most overpriced and underwhelming meals I've ever had. Foie hush puppies are a great idea. Too bad they tasted like a bad donut.

More Alexandria nostalgia- - -when we first moved there 20 years ago, Tempo on Duke Street was a very cool place and we loved the oddball location in a converted gas station- -actually ate there in the last six months or so and, though never really groundbreaking (and even less so 20 years on), I thought everything was well-prepared and well-priced.

Another rise and fall in Alexandria was Cafe Monti, a conversion from what had been a sub and pizza shop. Original owner Vic Kreidel (sp?), ex of Tiberio as I recall, came out of nowhere with high quality chef-prepared meals for absolute bargain basement prices, cooked by Vic and served by his wife, who tended to some very authentic austrian desserts. You really felt like you were dining somewhere subversive and special in those early days (and the Weiner Schnitzel was wonderful). Vic left (to open a similarly-named and similarly obscure place in Arlington that I was literally NEVER able to find despite repeated attempts) and sold the business to some of his staff (and a sous-chef he'd hired in his last months there) - - I drifted away from "Monti" at that point but have the impression that, though it's still there, it's glory days are over.

More Alexandria nostalgia- - -when we first moved there 20 years ago, Tempo on Duke Street was a very cool place and we loved the oddball location in a converted gas station- -actually ate there in the last six months or so and, though never really groundbreaking (and even less so 20 years on), I thought everything was well-prepared and well-priced.

Tempo was originally Bobby's Seafood House. When I first moved to Alexandria (way more years ago than I want to think about), I used to go to Bobby's quite a bit. Through the same front door, left into a concrete floored dining room with oars and fishing nets on the walls and some decent fish. One day it was gone and in a couple of months...voila!! Tempo. If I remember correctly, a husband and wife were/are the owners. It's where we took a friend who had his first encounter with rabbit (he didn't know it was rabbit because I ordered lapin) and after one taste, he decided there really was something to French cooking after all. That was about 10 years ago. For some reason, it was one visit and we've never gone back.

Another rise and fall in Alexandria was Cafe Monti, a conversion from what had been a sub and pizza shop. Original owner Vic Kreidel (sp?), ex of Tiberio as I recall, came out of nowhere with high quality chef-prepared meals for absolute bargain basement prices, cooked by Vic and served by his wife, who tended to some very authentic austrian desserts. You really felt like you were dining somewhere subversive and special in those early days (and the Weiner Schnitzel was wonderful). Vic left (to open a similarly-named and similarly obscure place in Arlington that I was literally NEVER able to find despite repeated attempts) and sold the business to some of his staff (and a sous-chef he'd hired in his last months there) - - I drifted away from "Monti" at that point but have the impression that, though it's still there, it's glory days are over.

The building is still there, the great food has disappeared.

Another place was the very small restaurant on King St near the present location of Hank's. The chef was Korean and had been the chef for the Korean embassy. His food was amazing, and surprising in it's variety. It's now another restaurant which I've never been interested in visiting. (and if you remember Egg Roll House, you're about the same Alexandria generation as I).

Another place was the very small restaurant on King St near the present location of Hank's. The chef was Korean and had been the chef for the Korean embassy. His food was amazing, and surprising in it's variety. It's now another restaurant which I've never been interested in visiting. (and if you remember Egg Roll House, you're about the same Alexandria generation as I).

Was that Lite N' Fair? If so, I had always heard the chef cooked at the Watergate. Either way the food was tasty (and very reasonably priced) and I was sad to see it go.

Since this is turning it to the "gone but not forgotten" thread.... how about Bombay Bicycle Club which was where Mango Mike's is now located, or Le Peep where the Baja Fresh is in Hechinger's Plaza (though I don't think that's what it's called anymore). Both hold pleasant memories of meals with my grandparents.

Was that Lite N' Fair? If so, I had always heard the chef cooked at the Watergate. Either way the food was tasty (and very reasonably priced) and I was sad to see it go.

We stopped there often when he was there. He was at the Korean embassy and then the Watergate. The food was excellent and surprising from what seemed to be a second thought restaurant.

Since this is turning it to the "gone but not forgotten" thread.... how about Bombay Bicycle Club which was where Mango Mike's is now located, or Le Peep where the Baja Fresh is in Hechinger's Plaza (though I don't think that's what it's called anymore). Both hold pleasant memories of meals with my grandparents.

I remember both. Went to Bombay Bicycle Club once hoping it was roughly the equivalent of the one in Charlottesville (which was excellent). It wasn't. Le Peep, the all egg, all the time restaurant was a great place for breakfast (a California chain....whodathunkit? smile.gif). The food was somewhat singularly themed (eggs, anyone?) but the price was reasonable and the dishes were pretty decent.

This seems like a reasonable thread to resurrect, at least to me. Occasionally we go into Alexandria on a weekday for something or other and because it's an "event" we want to have lunch somewhere new. Is there anywhere these days worth going to in Alexandria. We've been to Eamonn's and The Majestic and have enjoyed both. What else is there that isn't an expense account meal or a tourist mecca?

• Like 1

Really limited in my opinion, as an Alexandrian, especially if in Old Town/Del Ray/Rosemont in terms of quality or price. I end up in Falls Church, Arlington, Crystal City, or DC probably more than Old Town.

Hank's Oyster Bar - pricey, but pretty good

Del Ray Cafe - farm-to-table, good quality/ambience

Caphe Ban Mi - Old Town Vietnamese, surprisingly pretty good

Shakhti - Sri Lankan, basically Arlandria but 1 mile up from the rest of Del Ray/The Avenue

Bastille - French, falls into Expense Account territory

Vermilion - Contemporary American, pricey

Eve - Tops ins the city, but REALLY pricey

Eamon's - limited menu, but for what it's worth, it's great Fish and Chips

Faccia Luna - haven't been, but have heard from a few that it's probably best pizza in town

Brabo Tasting Room - flat breads and mussels; reasonable price and good and nice ambience

Sushi Lounge - Del Ray, pretty good

Pizzeria Paradisio/Red Rocks - I know they are different, but they serve the same purpose and area bout as good as each other

Osteria 1909 - closed down and I really liked that

Majestic - people seem to like it, I go after yoga and it's generally dead, service is a bit slow

For having a 50+ restaurants probably, not very many of them are good/worth the money. There are some distinct holes - not one Indian restaurant in Old Town/Old Town North/Del Ray. Not one authentic Chinese restaurant. No Korean restaurant. Not one well reviewed/beloved Thai restaurant. There isn't a Ramen place (every stinking neighborhood is getting one of those, now!). I would argue that there isn't a good steak house (Flat House is new and probably satisfactory but it's not really a talked about place). There isn't a great Mexican place (Taqueria Poblano is just ok, especially considering you can go south on Richmond Hwy and have bunch of legit taco options). There are some seafood places. There are terrible Asian fusion places and pseudo-Thai.

I really wonder why that is. Arlington seems to have a lot more quality options, so does Falls Church. Any hypotheses why one of the coolest areas in the D/M/V is sort of a "good food desert"?

S

There is a higher density of residential in the areas for which one discusses in Arlington (Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor). But are you going to say that from the bottom of Lee Highway at Lyon Village to the top of Lee Highway at District Taco you hit all those points? Or stroll along Columbia Pike, which has a lot of 'ethnic' options but what about high-end? I think its a matter of opinion when it comes to who has it better. When I think of Mexican I hardly think of Taqueria, its more SoCal cuisine. Have you ever gone through and eaten at any of the places in Arlandria, which in fact is Alexandria?

Old Town is built for tourism as well residential, Arlington not so much. So there is a distinct difference in how restaurants cater to the masses.

I grew up in Arlington, and now live in Alexandria. I know the options are not what they are in Arlington, but then again I would never live in Arlington again for what it has turned into. I am a 3rd generation Arlingtonian but consider myself an Alexandrian.

• Like 1

Really limited in my opinion, as an Alexandrian, especially if in Old Town/Del Ray/Rosemont in terms of quality or price. I end up in Falls Church, Arlington, Crystal City, or DC probably more than Old Town.

[....]

I really wonder why that is. Arlington seems to have a lot more quality options, so does Falls Church. Any hypotheses why one of the coolest areas in the D/M/V is sort of a "good food desert"?

I am very curious about the Korean restaurants in Arlington; unknown to me. I agree there seems to be a dearth of them in Alexandria proper. And "authentic" Chinese also missing as you suggest....

Your OT/R/DR round up seems to omit some stand-outs:

Momo Sushi - excellent (perhaps not as excellent as before it was popular)

Evening Star Cafe -  excellent.

a la Lucia - one of my favorite *real* Italian places

Dos Amigos - "nighborhood" Mexican...

Re: Faccia Luna - competent American Italian--the pizza is good, but not the same model as RR or PP.

I don't find it surprising that restaurants on and off of King St tend to be pricey. They pay it in rent, I suspect. That seems a little like complaining that Manhattan is expensive. Still, as an Old Town resident, if these options aren't to one's liking, I think one is better off going to the city to dine than going to Arlington.

If you want Korean, you go to Annandale (or Centerville), if you want Chinese, you go to 7 Corners (same for Vietnamese).  So they're not in Alexandria, they're close enough. My better half and I spend a lot of money dining in Alexandria because it's home and because we like to spend out money where we live. There's Thai Pepper in Del Ray. Not in the same class as the restuaurants at which I ate in Bangkok, but it's not bad.  Del Ray Cafe is always good.  Sushi or your ramen fix, you go to Tanpopo in Annandale (MoMo for sushi is okay, not outstanding, just okay).  Al La Lucia is decent red-tablecloth Italian.  Blue and White is dynamite for soul food (just get there early before it's all gone). Evening Star runs from mediocre to passable (it was much better before Will Artrley left and the renovation happened), but Rustico can turn out some really good food.  Light Horse can be good but can get noisy.  Brabo (the restaurant not the Tasting Room) is generally very good.  La Bergerie is good white-table cloth traditional French.  I do miss the lack of decent BBQ and I wish one of those KFC (that's Korean Fried Chicken) places would move into Old Town, but Nando's isn't bad for a quick lunch (not that it's going to increase your status with your expense account friends).  Jackson 20 has it's moments as does Columbia Firehouse.  There are a lot of good choices nearby that don't require crossing the river and spending 2 hours looking for a parking space.

• Like 1

My teenage daughter & her friends went to Old Town last night because the weather was nice & they wanted to dress up & have fun. They planned to eat at Faccia Luna, but faced w/ a 30 minute wait, they went to Chipotle, then to a candy shop & the Lucky Knot, & finished at Starbucks. Lives of Fairfax teens (I didn't drive this time)...she had field hockey today & ate at Moe's.

• Like 2

Between living in Bethesda and working in Old Town Alexandria I feel like I have been relegated to a lifetime of mediocre dining options.

You're not being adventurous enough.  Plenty of good food in Alexandria (I can't speak for Bethesda because I don't have the correct stamp on my passport :D)

• Like 1

I love the Evening Star - it's my neighborhood joint, but other than brunch, I don't get excited about their food.

Momo is good, agreed.

I don't care for Dos Amigos, but that's a taste thing - a lot of people like it a lot.

And, I have yet to try A La Lucia (who supposedly have the best cannolis, ever, as well).

I understand going to Annandale for Korean or Seven Corners for Chinese - I do that all the time. I'm just saying, in the territory bounded by Glebe to the North, the Beltway to the South, Russell Rd to the west, and the river - it's a pretty great place to live, but surprisingly deficient in terms of certain cuisines, and the quality (except for a few places) seems to be not as good as I'd expected, having come fromt the District. Unrealistic, I suppose. I love living here, and I support all the local places, but one Korean option or one Indian or one Chinese option isn't really that much to expect (I think), rather than 4 Asian fusion places, you know what I mean? Just from a business perspective, I wonder why a restauranteur has not developed one (maybe they've tried in the past?)

On the other hand, the overall food culture seems to be thriving in Alexandria - there are plenty of gourmet markets/boutiques - Balducci's, Whole Foods, Butcher's Block, Market 2 Market, Cheesetique, La Fromagerie, Meat on The Avenue, multiple farmer's markets, so I don't think interest is lacking.

S

• Like 2

Don't forget Society Fair for Market, as well Bastille for French. O'Connell's for a Pint and solid Grub. Monroe's to sit at the bar and nosh but keep expectations to a minimum. Friendly staff.

We used to have happy hours for our running group at Monroe's, and I haven't been in a while, but I always had a good experience there. They typically have an interesting red and white Italian wine on special.  I've enjoyed every one I've tried, and I've tried quite a few.  The bar food is pretty good bar food, I remember the veggie pizza and the flatbread with tapenade being enjoyable, but I think they make very nice salads.  I know people don't typically talk a lot about salads at restaurants, however, having been served some atrocious ones (spoiled greens, overdressed, underdressed, puckeringly acidic), I know I can always count on something done well at Monroe's.

In general, Alexandria is home to a number of good neighborhood places and very few destination restaurants.

Hank's is the best seafood restaurant in Old Town, especially if you stick to their specials. I had a pan fried grouper in a red pepper sauce on Friday night, and it was delicious. Yet it can also get very expensive for a restaurant with a casual vibe (and they don't take reservations).

I think the Brabo Tasting Room doesn't get enough attention, but it's probably due to their limited menu. The few things they are seeking to do, however, they do exceptionally well.

On a side note, Brabo's Butcher's Block last week was offering a Cream of Bacon soup. This is assuredly a sign of bacon becoming too prevalent on menus, and a "gimmick" soup that would be far too rich for mortal consumption. So I only ordered one bowl. It was quite good. Like a clam chowder, but with bacon instead of clams. If you can find flaws with that, I don't know what to tell you.

One place not mentioned so far is Del Ray Pizzeria, where Eric Reid (Del Merei Grille RIP) is handing his hat. The bar food is done well. The dinner entrees can be delicious too. I had the chicken and dumplings a month ago that were very good. A recent hangar steak unfortunately was overcooked. Their buffalo chicken sandwich is something I can rarely avoid ordering. They've also now got one of the more impressive and extensive beer menus in Alexandria.

• Like 1

On the Vietnamese front there is the place that opened in the old Pita House space... I have only gotten a few things there, but have been happy with their Bahn Mi and pho, it's not the same as Eden Center or etc, but definitely passable.  

On the Vietnamese front there is the place that opened in the old Pita House space... I have only gotten a few things there, but have been happy with their Bahn Mi and pho, it's not the same as Eden Center or etc, but definitely passable.  

Caphe Banh Mi, I believe.  It's not the best Vietnamese I've had, but it's probably my favorite of any Asian cuisine in the Old Town area (with the possible exception of Momo Sushi, although in practice if we get sushi we usually end up in Bonsai II in Crystal City, to also get udon).

And I have to agree with someone's previously expressed sentiment - I live in Del Ray, and yet I never seem to eat anyplace in my own neighborhood except for Del Ray Pizzeria (and there never for the pizza - entrees, sandwiches, and Monday night trivia).

Any opinions on Cheesetique's eat-in options?  I just looked at the menu, and it was more diverse than I was expecting.

It's been over a year since I contributed to the Fontaine Caffe and Creperie thread, but I consider it to be a good spot for dinner or brunch.

This seems like a reasonable thread to resurrect, at least to me. Occasionally we go into Alexandria on a weekday for something or other and because it's an "event" we want to have lunch somewhere new. Is there anywhere these days worth going to in Alexandria. We've been to Eamonn's and The Majestic and have enjoyed both. What else is there that isn't an expense account meal or a tourist mecca?

In the same empire, have you tried Eve's Lickety Split lunch?

Agree with Del Ray Pizzeria - although, like above poster said, it's not always for the pizza. They have a wide variety of beer, and do tap takeovers often (this week was Terrapin, which I thought I didn't like, but they won me over). But, again, no one talks about this place like Pupatella or Orso or whatever (granted, not the same style, but it's not destination pizza).

I think the market is there and the interest is there - good food will come. Foodie bellies abhor a vacuum.

S

I grew up in Southern Alexandria along Rt 1.  I have to agree with the majority of the sentiment.  Dining in Old Town is just not that appealing.  It's either way too pricy or the food is just very plain.  I remember in the 80s and 90s, the entire region was not very adventurous in dining with the exemption of a few bright spots.  Our ethnic foods be it from Europe, Middle East, Africa, or Asia was watered down.  Then, in the 2000s, things changed.  I started seeing unapologetic authentic ethnic food in Falls Church, Annandale, Arlington, Fairfax, DC, and Arlandria (Sorry I'm not familiar with Maryland).  Yet, I haven't seen much change in Old Town.  It's kind of a shame that there are no great casual dining spots that appeal to me.  Majestic, Vermillion, and Restaurant Eve are great, but it's just a place I can't afford to go on a regular basis.  I understand rent is higher than Annandale or Fairfax, it can't be that much higher than Arlington or DC.  I just hope Old Town will eventually catch up to its neighbors.  

• Like 2

Well, there seems to be a rash of closings in Old Town this week. Apparently Ireland's Own (formerly Pat Troy's Ireland's Own) has closed, per local blog Red Brick Town. Former employees had bought it from Pat Troy a few years ago.

Based on my quick search, it doesn't appear that a specific thread was ever created.

Well, there seems to be a rash of closings in Old Town this week. Apparently Ireland's Own (formerly Pat Troy's Ireland's Own) has closed, per local blog Red Brick Town. Former employees had bought it from Pat Troy a few years ago.

Based on my quick search, it doesn't appear that a specific thread was ever created.

And Butcher's Block...

And Butcher's Block... 

Wow!  That's a bummer.

Not that I ever shopped there much (too expensive for my blood) but I liked the option for high end meat or weird stuff like a tub of duck fat.  It was also a cool place to pop in for a glass of wine....sort of an under the radar wine bar.   Maybe Society Fair did them in? (that's another place that is way to rich for my blood)

Our regular places in Alexandria

Sunday Brunch - Alley Cat

Dinner

Overwood

Eamonns

Artfully Chocolate just started doing meals (mostly crepes)

Fontaine

Light Horse (especially the burgers upstairs at bar)

Pork Barrel BBQ

Holy Cow Burgers

Los Cuates (New mexican king street)

Special dinners

Chart House

Vermilion

Driving home last night, I was surprised to see that there is a new place going in where Sultan Kabob sat vacant for so long (I've worked in Old Town for 11+ years and I think it's been vacant all that time), at the corner of Cameron and N. Henry Streets in Old Town.  The new place has hung a sign that says "Old Town Cosmopolitan Grill."  No idea when the opening is or who is connected with it.  Sort of an iffy location, as Henry St is the southbound one-way street to the Beltway access and I think only one public garage nearby, plus up and around the corner from the main drag on King.

As for Sultan Kabob, I will say they had the best awning I've ever seen.  In all that time with zero attention given to it, it never ripped or noticeably faded.  I don't know who made it, but they are top notch awning-ers.

Hahahah... funny, I've been seeing that forever, but take a new route to the beltway so haven't seen it in a long time. It's a crap location, curious to see what happens with a new place. Though, I had that thought about Mason Social's location, and they seem to be doing just fine. 

On 1/12/2018 at 9:40 AM, weezy said:

Driving home last night, I was surprised to see that there is a new place going in where Sultan Kabob sat vacant for so long (I've worked in Old Town for 11+ years and I think it's been vacant all that time), at the corner of Cameron and N. Henry Streets in Old Town.  The new place has hung a sign that says "Old Town Cosmopolitan Grill."  No idea when the opening is or who is connected with it.  Sort of an iffy location, as Henry St is the southbound one-way street to the Beltway access and I think only one public garage nearby, plus up and around the corner from the main drag on King.

As for Sultan Kabob, I will say they had the best awning I've ever seen.  In all that time with zero attention given to it, it never ripped or noticeably faded.  I don't know who made it, but they are top notch awning-ers.

There was an Italian restaurant there for a long time which obviously closed.  I can't remember what was there for a very short time but it was taken over by Sultan Kabob which lasted for a while.  At least that location isn't as bad as 100 King St.

I've been to Yamazoto, and do like it. It's "technically" in Alexandria, and I guess it's accurate :) I guess I meant more in my DR or OT. I had a really bad meal at Sushi Bar in DR, but then recently a really good one. Kaizen is not sushi, but it's a neat place. Not very fresh fish, but nice staff. Momo is pretty good, but nothing too exciting with nigiri / sashimi. They seem to be very busy on most evenings. May Island just north of DR is pretty poor, despite the good Yelp! ratings (that may technically be out of Alexandria, but it's like 1 mile from my home). Never been to Ichiban. Zento's apps seem to be better than the sushi. 

On 1/15/2018 at 10:15 AM, Simul Parikh said:

How would you rank the sushi places in Alexandria?

On 1/15/2018 at 6:13 PM, Kibbee Nayee said:

Technically on the other side of I-395 from Alexandria, and therefore should be in Annandale, but its address is Alexandria:

Yamazato

It's one of my absolute go-to places for sushi. Quality is high, prices are fair, service is good. But it's only barely in Alexandria....

I know it's not strictly sushi, but don't forget about the excellent Nasime (which I would rank as the #2 Japanese restaurant in all of NoVa - a peer with Takumi).

Simul, Yamazoto is a straight shot down Columbia Pike (or even faster, I-395 - 10-15 minutes from your house).

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 10:15 AM, Simul Parikh said:

How would you rank the sushi places in Alexandria?

---

Yamazoto (Kibbee Nayee)

I think Don is right that the best is Nasime but you can't get it a la carte. I think it's only sashimi and only part of the tasting menu. We're fond of Momo as a neighborhood place. Our distant third was Kyoto in the Bradlee Shopping Center. However, we were told by some friends who were regulars there that management cleaned house last fall and that it had really fallen off (and it didn't have far to fall...).

---

Nasime (Escoffier)
Old House Cosmopolitan (lovehockey)

So reading this thread I am a little trepadatious (my spell check says this isn't a word, is this really not a word?) of what my new dining scene will be once we move to Potomac Yard.  I work in OT and know the dining scene here, and am happy to pick up some Vietnamese or Thai right by my office to take home, I eat in Del Ray a lot already.  I cook all the time and love to cook.   Our normal Mexican place in Arlington is Taqueria Poblano, so that will carry over, Lost Dog will still deliver to us and I like Cheesetique.  And I know that we won't have the same options as Arlington, but we can visit some of our old haunts with not a bad drive.  BUT where would one go within a reasonable driving distance, order delivery or etc to get Indian food, Chinese, a good chicken place, etc, etc.  Not the high end stuff, but more the everyday type of things one might want.  What are your go-tos?