Basa/Pangasius

V.H.

Also, I've been buying alot of basa at the commissary-it's pangasius, vietnamese catfish, quite inexpensive, a firm, mild tasting fish-everyone in the family likes it. I dust it with Wondra & Old Bay, & panfry it w/ canola & butter. I just hope it doesn't get too popular, because I'm sure the price will go up.

I've been buying basa at Hmart and it is popular at our house as well. I cut a knob of ginger into matchsticks, mince 3 cloves of garlic, and saute that in a little veg oil. Add maybe a quarter cup of soy, a teaspoon of sugar, a tablespoon of red pepper paste and about 3-4 green onions, thinly sliced. We add about 1.5 pounds of basa to this and cook the fish in the sauce. The soy gives the fish a beautiful color and it's great served with rice and a green veggie.

That sounds really good! I think I'll try it your way next time. Last time, I cooked a batch, my daughter had a bunch of friends over & 1 girl in particular loved the fish (the others preferred the fr. chicken nuggets, anything to fill their little tummies), I had to scramble to come up w/ something else for dinner that night, she cleaned me out. I didn't mind at all, refreshing to meet a child (besides my own) who enjoys fish...

I'm also really interested in small scale (backyard or basement) aquaponics. I'm an avid (& increasingly lazy) container gardener already & the idea of keeping a few fish (to fertilize the growing beds) is intriguing,although I don't think I could raise them to eat them, maybe just some koi or goldfish to utilize the system.