Margaret's Soul Food & Catering, Owner Margaret Gardener on S. Shirlington Road in Shirlington

Just watched a promo piece on this place, linked to YouTube through Arlington County. The ribs looked tasty, as did the mac & cheese, with large portions. Owner was charming in video too - said she got the recipes, all in her head, from her mom and sister.

I haven't been yet but was wondering if anyone had tried the place - could make dinner for 2 for $10 out of a rib order + 2 sides that are included.

Just watched a promo piece on this place, linked to YouTube through Arlington County. The ribs looked tasty, as did the mac & cheese, with large portions. Owner was charming in video too - said she got the recipes, all in her head, from her mom and sister.

I haven't been yet but was wondering if anyone had tried the place - could make dinner for 2 for $10 out of a rib order + 2 sides that are included.

3 years and 5 months later, I finally visited this little place on South Shirlington Road.

Margaret, the owner, is really kind-hearted, greeting me with a warm smile, and an assurance of "don't worry, I'll take care of you," after I stated yesterday was my first visit to her place. She definitely did.

I ordered the following to feed 3 adults and 2 children:

2 order Rib plate (3 ribs per order with 2 sides)

1 order Brisket and

1 order Jerk Chicken.

The sides chosen were: beans, collard greens, green beans, and mac n' cheese.

There was enough food for leftovers today, and all of it only cost $32.

Overall, I really liked everything, even if it didn't wow me, as it is comfort food. I am not going to compare this place to other barbecue places because I have it in my head this place is "soul food," which is different in my head. It is definitely a homestyle, soul food type of place. The mac n' cheese was a tad on the sweet side for my tastes, and the jerk chicken a little lacking in the jerk spices, but the meats were all tender (with the exception of brisket, which I can't try, so I can't comment on this).

It is a nice place to stop by for some nice food without doing the cooking or cleaning up afterward.

• Like 2