Bourbon Coffee, Downtown, SE Capitol Hill, and Opening in Tysons Corner

Bourbon Coffee has decent beans. However, my friend ordered a Horchata and was immensely disappointed. But I would go there before illy, which I understand uses vacuum-packed beans.

Great point out. I've been to Bourbon once and remember thinking it a pretty cool concept (improving perceptions of Rwanda through exclusively indigenous coffee) with good but not great execution. Maybe good enough to return to but then I forgot all about it. Certainly a great mission. There's another concept sort of like it in the World Bank (or IMF?) store on Pennsylvania just to the west. It's mostly a retail store with artisan crafts from all around the developing world and a cafe in the back. Decent coffee but not to the level of the Filters, Sidamos, Qualias, etc here in DC.

There's another concept sort of like it in the World Bank (or IMF?) store on Pennsylvania just to the west. It's mostly a retail store with artisan crafts from all around the developing world and a cafe in the back. Decent coffee but not to the level of the Filters, Sidamos, Qualias, etc here in DC.

I believe this place is now closed (or soon to close)

Since Pound the Hill has closed, it seemed that there should be a thread for the company that has taken it over.  These are their US locations.

The last I checked, new signage was not up at the Pound location. It still looked like Pound from the outside. When I asked last week, I was told it would be a few weeks until there were new signs.  Bourbon packaged coffee products are for sale, and a few small things have changed but the transformation seems to be occurring gradually.  Most of the employees seem to have stayed.

I've had both coffee and iced tea since the changeover.  The iced tea (the black tea with mint that is a favorite of mine) was the same.  The coffee was good but seemed a little different. I could be imagining that.  I assume they're using different coffee now, though.

They seem to be in the final stage of transition to Bourbon at the Capitol Hill location.  The sign out front still says "Pound," but they've got the back room and back outside seating closed off for some renovation work.  I had heard they were going to close for a few days during that project, but I didn't double-check as to whether that's the case.

The menus now say "Bourbon," and they've altered the menu some.  I ordered something off the new sandwich menu, "The Paradise" (hummus, carrots, cucumbers, and sprouts, on multi-grain; $5.50).  It reminded me very much of something I would have gotten back in the day at the Food Co-op in the basement of the UMD student union, except 1) this didn't have much flavor and 2) I don't recall ever finding a hair in a sandwich from the Co-op...

In addition to cold sandwiches, and hot panini, they have a build-your-own option.

Fully changed over now.  The new name is outside and they've made some changes to the interior, including putting a communal table plus a coffee table and easy chairs in the back room.  From the conversations I was hearing from patrons, the wifi is still problematic and has actually dropped in quality from what it was.  Apparently, the old owners had bought a booster for the wifi that improved performance, but it doesn't seem to be in use anymore.  Other tip about the wifi I learned:  it works better in the front of the shop than in the back.

• Like 1