Momo Taro Sushi Express, Cabin John Village, Also Momo Taro on Frederick Road in Derwood - Closed

Was up in Rockville this week and someone took me to this sushi place on Frederick Road.

It was surprisingly good! IMO, most sushi spots in strip malls (or not in strip malls, for that matter) anywhere are pretty bad, especially when it comes to raw fish. You really have to have a quality recc from a trusted source (or be a dr.com member smile.gif ) to ferret out the few jewels. Ah, and for those japanese food purists on the board, I'm a pretty avid fan who thinks that Makoto is the best in our area (solely so you can benchmark this recc).

This may be one. We just had lunch so I can't speak to the fuller menu of omikase and more exotic items but our boxes included a nice portion of very fresh maguro, white fish and salmon sashimi with an equally tasty and freshly made california roll, salad, miso, suprisingly light, crispy and clearly made-to-order tempura shrimp, sweet potato and rice, all for $11.50.

Service was friendly. Kind of reminds me of what I think I remember Tachibana in McLean used to be like. Or maybe what Sushi-ko was like ten years ago. Kind of like Sakana in Dupont or even Kotobuki on MacArthur (both spots we visit semi-regularly) but better quality fish. Maybe doesn't merit a long drive but surely a good bet if up that way or in that area.

Nice discovery, excellent value and, I didn't see a thread so here it is.

It's one of those neighborhood places that doesn't get mentioned because it's nothing special, and certainly not worth driving across town for, but is definitely one of the better choices in the immediate area.

They also have a small shop in the Cabin John Mall at Tuckerman & Seven Locks.

Overall, I'd say that I probably hit Niwano Hana in Rockville more often, but Momo Taro is nearly as good.

We lived in Derwood for a year before finding our house in Silver Spring, We hit Momo Taro at least once a week. The other posts are dead on - good quality, reasonable price, friendly service, yet nothing to make a special trip for. But if you live in the area, it would be a shame not to check it out.

Rocks, I'm confused by your post. The Cabin John mall location has been open, with the same name, almost 15 years.

I didn't realize that. Well, they must have opened the one in Derwood afterwards, it didn't work out, and they reverted to only having the one in Cabin John.

I didn't realize that. Well, they must have opened the one in Derwood afterwards, it didn't work out, and they reverted to only having the one in Cabin John.

Actually, I'm not sure when the Derwood location opened, so it could have been first. I only know that I've been going to the CJ location since I moved to Potomac in 2001.

FWIW, the shop is almost always nearly empty - they seem to make most of their money supplying local stores with packaged rolls, and catering.