French Bistro in NoVA

DanCole42

After being crestfallen since my latest discovery of a French "bistro" in Middleburg, I turn now to crowdsourcing.

Is there a French bistro/brasserie anywhere in NoVA? With potted foods like rillettes and olivade, tartines, charcuterie, frisee with lardons and runny eggs, and all the good homeyness born of frugality and connection to the neighborhood that makes a real bistro so special?

I'm guessing no. Nowhere in the Metro area. DC and its environs are a transient town. There's no sense of continuity of belongingness, no neighborhoods. It's a federal district in the truest sense: one without any identity beyond what happens to be passing through. People come to DC when they're young, move to the suburbs as they grow up, and never put down the deep roots you would need for a bistro culture to flourish like it would in a more organic city.

It's a shame I kind of like it here.

I could see one of our younger, more talented chefs like Rachael Harriman heading out to fox hunting country and opening up the Bouchon/French Laundry of the East...

Nowhere in the Metro area. DC and its environs are a transient town. There's no sense of continuity of belongingness, no neighborhoods. It's a federal district in the truest sense: one without any identity beyond what happens to be passing through.

Your characterization of Washington manages to be both cliché and false. Congratulations.

Dan,

Next time you are in Arlington maybe make a stop at Lyon Hall, it is french/german, but they make their breads in house, cure their own meats, make their own sausages and etc. They have a lot of things you are looking for. It may not be extremely neighborhoody, but to us folks that call the area home, it Liberty Tavern and a couple other places are our neighborhood spots and we tend to find them neighborhoody. I am looking forward to the warmer weather as they have fantastic outdoor seating.

Next time you are in Arlington maybe make a stop at Lyon Hall

Does anyone have a clue as to why this place is so named? Lyon, as in the French city? The menu doesn't look particularly Lyonnais, although there are a few Lyonnais things on it. Lyon as in Lyon Village? The restaurant isn't in Lyon Village, although it's not far from it. And "Hall"? What kind of restaurant calls itself a hall?

Does anyone have a clue as to why this place is so named? Lyon, as in the French city? The menu doesn't look particularly Lyonnais, although there are a few Lyonnais things on it. Lyon as in Lyon Village? The restaurant isn't in Lyon Village, although it's not far from it. And "Hall"? What kind of restaurant calls itself a hall?

Maybe someone involved is a Cyclone.

Okay, but why "Hall"? Lyon Hall as an eatery sounds like a college cafeteria.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall their group going on a Federalist/Patriotic theme: "Liberty" Tavern, Lyon "Hall" (i.e., Independence Hall), and Northside "Social."