Bombay Garden, Downtown Fairfax - Closed

It's closed, which is no surprise since they were always nearly empty when we went there. There's a new kabob place that will be opening in its space.

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to following the recommendation of Jim L. from Yelp (here's the link) - this is what he had to say:

This is one of my favorite restaurants in all of Virginia, perhaps the world. I have been to the Bombay Garden many times and have always enjoyed the experience. They recently had a change in ownership but I guess they retained the kitchen staff, their food is even better than before and their buffet got cheaper. Eat all you can for 8 bucks or something.

The restaurant is located on University Drive off Main Street. It is a very romantic, small and cozy place. The ambience is great, especially if you are going there for an evening date. They have a small adjacent parking, but also has a huge parking lot right across the street.

The food is of course, the main attraction. You can tell that they do not cut corners; everything is made from scratch. The quality of the chef's cooking is top notch. You can also specify the heat factor of your dishes (mild, medium and hot). I like it my food to be Hot. (My favs are: bread basket or Kabuli naan with the sweat sauce and green sauce for appetizer or some Kabob's with a glass of Malbec and I love the food that is cooked on the clay oven. Tandoori chicken or the tandoori lamb, just amazing. [even the thought of the food is mouth watering]).

Like many Asian restaurants, the best way to have your meal is to order several items for your group and then share. Each item comes in its own serving dish, so you can take a portion for yourself.

The service is prompt and very friendly. If you want to have a truly special dining experience, you are guaranteed to have one here. I always look forward to my next visit. It is the best Indian restaurant - and arguably the best restaurant of any kind - in all of Virginia.

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to following the recommendation of Jim L. from Yelp (here's the link) - this is what he had to say:

Hee! Note that Jim L's gusher of a report was on top, despite being more than 1.5 years old and there being several more recent, less complimentary reviews. Still, it is too bad that Bombay Garden had to close, but Fairfax is a tough market for Indian food because there are so many great choices (I haven't been back to Woodlands in years and I really liked it!). Maybe the kabob place will have more luck. It's to be called Sabzi authentic Persian kabobs.