Red Toque Cafe, Indian at 6th and R Streets in Shaw. with a Second Location in Georgetown

As Logan Circle/Shaw/Bloomingdale gain steam as go-to areas of the city to live in, I wanted to give a shout-out to this small, independently owned kabob restaurant that my wife and I frequent fairly regularly. This is not a destination restaurant by any means; to be fair the menu is a little scattered and they would be smart to focus on their strengths (kabobs and Indian/Pakistani fare) but the owner is a great guy and I respect him taking a chance and opening a restaurant in an area where you generally only see white carton chinese, liquor stores, and gas stations. It can be a bit inconsistent, but I find that is well worth the very reasonable prices, especially if you are dining in or carrying out. I don't recommend the delivery, which generally takes an inordinate amount of time due to the owner walking your order himself to your house (Taw-style).

Pretty much everything we have had is good, but my favorites are the Beef Samosa, Kofta Kabob, and Chicken Curry.

Check it out, this is a business worth supporting.

Website

On 5/11/2011 at 1:52 PM, DPop said:

As Logan Circle/Shaw/Bloomingdale gain steam as go-to areas of the city to live in, I wanted to give a shout-out to this small, independently owned kabob restaurant that my wife and I frequent fairly regularly. This is not a destination restaurant by any means; to be fair the menu is a little scattered and they would be smart to focus on their strengths (kabobs and Indian/Pakistani fare) but the owner is a great guy and I respect him taking a chance and opening a restaurant in an area where you generally only see white carton chinese, liquor stores, and gas stations. It can be a bit inconsistent, but I find that is well worth the very reasonable prices, especially if you are dining in or carrying out. I don't recommend the delivery, which generally takes an inordinate amount of time due to the owner walking your order himself to your house (Taw-style).

Pretty much everything we have had is good, but my favorites are the Beef Samosa, Kofta Kabob, and Chicken Curry.

Check it out, this is a business worth supporting.

Website

I'm much further towards the Bloomingdale side of this area, so I haven't been here yet but friends who live close by rave about it. Thanks for the reminder to stop in one day after work next week. Now that they actually have an awning announcing that there is food inside that building they'll hopefully get more business. Other friends who lived not a half block from this place didn't even know it existed.

Never been, Don, but will ask the owner next time we go. I would imagine it's the same kind of place but no seating inside the restaurant (which is actually how I would recommend eating here, delivery takes too long and takeout the naan gets doughy from the condensation).

I swung by last night to grab a Kofta Kabob, which is really very well spiced and a nice portion of 2 big skewers for under $10. I asked the question about Red Toque Express and was assured that they had the same menus, but that given it's location Red Toque Express gets a lot more foot traffic and thus more emphasis on Chai and their South Asian coffee assortment. Obviously they have a different chef at the Wisconsin location, and thus I can't vouch for the food there, but if anyone lives up that way I would recommend a stop-in.

We got takeout last night for the first time in a while and almost 6 years later, this place is still putting out solid, low-price food.  They have inexplicably taken the Beef Samosa off of the menu, however, which took a little of the air out of my balloon :(

• Like 1