Oh Fish!, Maki Sushi in South Dupont Owned By Kaz Okochi - Closed

The old Moto Photo location on 19th Street has been paper-covered for some time now, and every time I walk by I've peeked to see if the permits indicate what might be coming in to the space. Last time I checked the permits showed that it would be a "food" place, but I thought that maybe Chop't was going to expand.

Well yesterday, I saw a small sign on the window advertising Oh Fish by Kaz, Maki Sushi and that they plan to open in July and are looking to hire a Manager. Anyone who can find any other info please update as I could not find anything when I searched the web.

I am quite looking forward to it though! And it will definitely give Oodles Noodles take-out sushi a run for its money.

The old Moto Photo location on 19th Street has been paper-covered for some time now, and every time I walk by I've peeked to see if the permits indicate what might be coming in to the space. Last time I checked the permits showed that it would be a "food" place, but I thought that maybe Chop't was going to expand.

Well yesterday, I saw a small sign on the window advertising Oh Fish by Kaz, Maki Sushi and that they plan to open in July and are looking to hire a Manager. Anyone who can find any other info please update as I could not find anything when I searched the web.

I am quite looking forward to it though! And it will definitely give Oodles Noodles take-out sushi a run for its money.

Hmm. Wonder if that might be the same Kaz who was chef at Cafe Atlantico?

Or could it be Kaz from Kaz Sushi Bistro and that other place that just opened whose name escapes me?

The Cafe Atlantico guy's name is Kats. Last I heard he was (still) working for that Spanish dude at that Ridgewell's Catering thing.

It is Kaz. There is a partially complete websiteup with some more information. It's a "build your own" futomaki place, I guess the natural progression of Chipotle/Chop't/etc. choose-your-own-adventure lunch joints. You choose a fish + fillings + sauce, chefs build rolls to order. Prices are a little higher than I expected (~$9 per maki), but I suppose they could be really big rolls. I bet they do great business, though. There really are no good options for quick sushi takeout in the immediate area.

It is Kaz. There is a partially complete websiteup with some more information. It's a "build your own" futomaki place, I guess the natural progression of Chipotle/Chop't/etc. choose-your-own-adventure lunch joints. You choose a fish + fillings + sauce, chefs build rolls to order. Prices are a little higher than I expected (~$9 per maki), but I suppose they could be really big rolls. I bet they do great business, though. There really are no good options for quick sushi takeout in the immediate area.

Thanks for the link! I googled the name the other day, but did not see the website. I surmised it was Kaz as well, and love the idea of choosing my own options for a roll.*

And $9 is a steal compared to the $15 so-so lobster roll I had yesterday from the Red Hook Lobster Truck.

(*This from someone who is allergic to many things that are found in sushi rolls, one such being cucumber B) )

And....it's open!

cross posted in the "what are you eating right now" thread

custom maki sushi from Oh FIsh! by Kaz...today is their first full day open. Stop by and you can chat with the "man" himself...

(It's incredibly fresh and tasty...what else did you expect?!) :mellow:

They were experiencing a few computer glitches with the registers, so I asked laughingly if I shouldn't announce they've opened on a food board...Kaz said no go ahead, so stop on by!

Had a very enjoyable lunch at Oh Fish today. I was happy with the roll I designed: salmon with avocado, sweet tofu and pickled onions, habanero masago, citrus soy and crunchy rice balls. Not a bad value for the large size of the roll, but next time I'd leave out the masago ($1 extra), as it wasn't much and I couldn't really taste it with everything else going on. You could definitely tell that there was a machine element to the roll, as the rice was more pressed than it would be by hand. It detracted from the taste a bit, but not enough to keep me from returning.

The seaweed salad was the same delicious creamy recipe as you get at Kaz Sushi Bistro, but it would have benefitted by coming to room temperature; it was too cold straight out of the refrigerator case. The total meal was $14 and was filling. I wish it were closer to my office.

Chiming in again. I bought the punch card deal for $5 rolls and used it for the first time yesterday. My spicy salmon roll with cream cheese, pickled onion, avocado and green onions was tasty. I wasn't thrilled that the avocado was slightly underripe, but hey, the roll was good overall. The was very filling and I think that next time I might get the medium roll, which is an option for $1 less. I'm not sure how they make it smaller - if they use less rice or less filling.

BTW, they now have a website, complete with a menu and nutritional information (with typos) .

I ran into Kaz Saturday at Al Dente chatting with a shrinking Roberto ( he's dropped about 60 lbs ) We are in a ridiculously slim margined business . I love Capitalism but the rents and home prices still and will always be criminal in this area. You work just to pay your mortgage or rent here...and to be honest, the quality of life here isnt all that