Sam Torrey Shoe Service, Arlington

DonRocks

Sam Torrey Shoe Service is essentially annexed to a 7-11 on Lee Highway in North Arlington, and is the type of place you can't really visualize until the moment you walk in, and then (and only then) do you realize what it's all about.

I'm not sure if the gentleman running the place is actually "Sam Torrey," but you'll know who it is when you meet him. He has this "yeah, sure, we can do that" sort of laid-back demeanor, and several times in the past, I've felt comfortable just delivering a trash bag full of shoes, some of which might be beyond repair, some of which need repair, some of which need only a shine, and some of which need nothing at all. He'll triage them, and tell you what it costs in advance - a bag full of shoes might cost you $100 for various levels of work, but it's sure cheaper than buying a single new pair. He charges what he charges, he makes his living, and he's not out to nick anybody.

I've used him before, and I'll use him again. This is a dying breed of craftsmanship that's worth supporting. Not surprisingly, I couldn't find a website, but the store is here.

This is the type of place where you look around and think, hmm, maybe I should buy a shoe horn, or buy some shoe polish and a buff pad, get a key made, buy a shoe tree, or have my belt taken in a notch. He even has smiley-face keys which can brighten up the rainiest days.

No affiliation, just a repeat customer.

Don Rockwell

I'm a repeat customer too - growing up in NYC, places like this were everywhere, and are now a dying breed. "Sam" is also honest, and will tell me if something is worth repairing or not. He has worked on luggage repairs for me as well. Thankful that this place is still around and hope it will be for a while.

Nancy Bukar

No affiliation, just a repeat customer.

Don Rockwell

I would concur with Rocks' post. My wife and I have used Sam Torreys' services on many occasions and each time have been afforded the kind of attention that you receive only in neighborhood businesses like this. Service is courteous and his work shows real attention to detail. It's unsettling that showing pride in your work is unusual but this guy does. For this reason and because it's way cheaper to re-sole a pair of shoes than buy new, we'll continue to use Sam Torrey.

Sean Flanagan