Nantucket Hair Salon, Downtown

Jon Karl

Paul is the proprietor at the Nantucket Hair Salon on H Street near 15th and he's the guy who has been cutting my hair for nearly a decade. I may not have much hair left to cut, but Paul has always taken good care of me. I've never figured out why he calls the place Nantucket (the whale flag outside appears to be the only connection to the island), but Paul is simply the best. He never fails to send me out with a good hair cut and a smile. There are rumors that Rockwell himself has been seen at Nantucket, which may explain why Paul's jokes have taken a questionable turn of late, but I love this place.

Jon Karl

Paul is the proprietor at the Nantucket Hair Salon on H Street near 15th and he's the guy who has been cutting my hair for nearly a decade. I may not have much hair left to cut, but Paul has always taken good care of me. I've never figured out why he calls the place Nantucket (the whale flag outside appears to be the only connection to the island), but Paul is simply the best. He never fails to send me out with a good hair cut and a smile. There are rumors that Rockwell himself has been seen at Nantucket, which may explain why Paul's jokes have taken a questionable turn of late, but I love this place.

Jon Karl

Nantucket is a hidden gem, a relatively inexpensive (for downtown DC), old-school hair salon (with an older clientele) on 15th and H Streets, right across from Potenza market. I originally found Paul Ramadan through Jon, but have since gotten to know Marco (front desk), Gladys (shampoo), Howard (stylist), and several of the other staff which seemingly has zero turnover. And I'm betting the reason for this low turnover is because Paul is such a great guy (*bad* jokes aside) who genuinely cares about his employees and customers. Interestingly, he also knows the restaurants in this area pretty well, as he used to be a maître d', long ago, before he founded Nantucket in 1992. I'm no expert, and I'm sure there are plenty of good hair stylists in this city, but it's the people themselves that keep me coming back here.

Don Rockwell

I woke up this morning with a bad hair day, and decided I would get a quick haircut during a "break" from work. I usually go to Andre Chreky, but I did not feel like walking 5 blocks in the stifling heat.

I remembered that there was a post in this forum about a salon near my office, so I checked out this thread. It's 200 yards from my desk. Perfect.

Walked in off the street to a very well kept small establishment. Several people were getting their hair cut and background conversation seemed very chatty. I was taken right away and received a great haircut! I regret that I did not get the ladies name who cut my hair, but she was charming and very thoughtful about asking questions how I usually like my hair. The shampoo girl was exceedingly warm and friendly as well.

All in all a GREAT experience (and $25 cheaper than my norm) at an establishment that I never considered entering until I read this recommendation. Thank you Jon Karl, Don Rocks, and Nantucket. I am a fan.

Brian Reymann