Claire's at the Depot, Owner Claire Lamborne's Southern American in the Former Train Station in Warrenton

Lady Kibbee and I dined at Claire's at the Depot in Warrenton this evening, and it was absolutely excellent. It reminded us of a really good Old Town Alexandria restaurant, which is coincidental because Executive Chef and Owner Claire Lamborne is from Alexandria. She purchased this beautiful little spot in 2004 at the old train station, and I am told it only recently reopened after a renovation to the bar area. It is simply a beautiful dining destination.

Lady Kibbee began with the Southwestern Caesar and followed with the seared Ahi Tuna, accompanied by glasses of Naked Mountain chardonnay. Both dishes were extremely well executed from either local ingredients or a certified catch. The details, down to the spiciness in the house made croutons on the salad, were perfect. I enjoyed two off the menu specials -- I had my eye on the Depot Mixed Grill on the menu, but when I heard the specials, I changed my mind -- the Mushroom Soup and the Cowboy Rib-eye. The Mushroom Soup was outstanding, and in retrospect, I wish I had ordered sherry to accompany it. It was creamy and had lots of fresh, local mushroom flavor, and even a bit of crunch from some fresh aromatics. The Cowboy Rib-eye was 16 oz. of some of the best and most mouth-watering beef I have ever enjoyed, and again, it was locally sourced and cooked to a perfect medium rare. The accompanying mushroom sauce was also from the locally sourced mushrooms that were in the soup, and this dish was just mouth-watering. Start to finish, this is one of the better meals I've enjoyed in a long time.

Service was an A+. Total bill with drinks, tax, and a generous tip was $120 (pre-tax total was about $89). And I believe it's worth a detour.

Took a drive to the country a few months back and ate here on a Saturday evening.  Nice drive and quaint town location.

Service was excellent, food was also very good.  Prices are reasonable given the level and quality of food.  4 of us dined for about $50/per person inclusive of a bottle of wine. Atmosphere is nice and host was very appreciative of our business.  Place was very busy and by observation many of the locals were regulars.

• Like 2