Politics and Prose, Independent Bookstore, Chevy Chase - New Owners Brad Graham and Lissa Muscatine

Politics and Prose needs no introduction here, but I'll give a brief one anyway.

In March of 2011, when the Meade and Cohen families announced the sale of Politics and Prose to Bradley Graham and Lissa Muscatine, a collective sigh of relief was issued everywhere around this city. For almost a year, everyone had assumed that when Barbara Meade and David Cohen retired, it was going to be the end of an era and an institution.

As I sit here typing in Modern Times Coffeehouse - the outstanding little basement nook attached to Politics and Prose which features skilled barristas, pastries by Patisserie Poupon, and bagels by Georgetown Bagelry - there is a very palpable sense of just how lucky upper NW DC is to have sustained this institution under the responsible stewardship of Mr. Graham and Ms. Muscatine.

I'll go so far as to say that this is one of the most important businesses - of any kind - in the entire Washington, DC area.

Did I mention their book selection?

Don Rockwell

• Like 1

P&P truly is a DC treasure. From the almost daily author talks and book signings (saw Todd Kliman discuss "Wild Vine" and Adam Gopnick discuss "The Table Comes First" in 2011) to the good deals on cookbooks in the basement remainder section, P&P is a great place to spend a lazy afternoon.

And as Don said, Modern Times really should be the model for a bookstore cafe!

Martin Rundle