Panjshir, Leesburg Pike in Falls Church

Last Saturday a group of us made a long-overdue reutrn to P II in Vienna. This used to be a regular hangout, but we lost track of it after they closed for almost a year because of a fire. What a joy to return. The place was bustling, the kadu and quabili pallow were as good as always, and Assad even remembered us after all this time. It almost felt like coming home again.

I started this topic after seeing the restaurant mentioned in another thread. Too busy now to write anything like a useful review, but maybe someone else can take up the slack.

After a positively decadent Tenderloin Rossini with black truffle, foie gras, and a dazzling 2001 Williams Selyem Zinfandel last night, it was time for austerity, nurture, and a return to sanity.

Bypassing my instinct to get a gooey burrito, I re-tooled my thought processes toward something more reasonable, and then began craving a Shalgham Chalow ($8.95 at lunch), one of our more underrated hangover foods because it's vegetarian, contains brown sugar, and masquerades as something morning-after slutty when you pour the green sauce on top.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Had lunch at the Falls Church outpost today. The "amuse" was a small cup of very tasty aushak, with noodles and ground meat and yogurt. I thought it was a nice touch.

I use Qabili Palow as my comparison dish at Afghan restaurants, and the version here is good. It is sauced with a spicy dark red sauce with tender bits of lamb floating in it, accompanied by the requisite pile of basmati rice with carrots, raisins and slivered almonds. While it was good, I felt the portion size was a bit meager for $11.95. Nonetheless, this is a nicely decorated dining room with a clean and orderly kitchen (which I viewed as I walked in and out of the back door to and from the parking area). But with all of the other dining options in Falls Church, I can't honestly say I would seek out Panjshir for a return visit, but I wouldn't avoid it either.

Their aushak / aush soup was almost always a standout in my book, along with the lamb chops. Sadly, it's been far too long since I've made the hike, and I hear the Vienna outpost closed earlier this fall.

Drove by the Vienna shop today. Closed as closed can be, I must say. (any Ed Grimley fans out there?)