Asian Delight (Formerly House of Lion), Chinese in the Comfort Inn, Fairfax

House of Lion, Comfort Inn, Fairfax City, corner of Main St. and Jermantown.

The Chinese menu is much more to my taste than Americanized Chinese food, but it's not Szechuan.

Nothing wrong with "not being Szechuan;" lots of China isn't Szechuan. How good is the food? What do you recommend? Is it worth a detour?, or even a journey? Or just good for its class. Do the "busloads of Chinese tourists" indicate there is something we should investigate?

Didn't they have another restaurant at Tyson's Galleria years ago that closed down?I have eaten at both off the Chinese menu and remember they were very good,but it has been over a decade! My tasetebuds may have matured since then or maybe not! Anyone else here remember these two restaurants?

I have been to this place (but really, I do eat other food besides Chinese...) and it's OK. It is VERY important to get the Chinese menu, and yet I find that it's very difficult to convince the staff to give it to you. Also, even when I went with a Chinese friend (the same one who joined us for China Gourmet earlier this week) the meal is not necessarily going to be particularly good. I think the place has promise, but it's not at all in the same league as China Star, China Gourmet, Sichuan Village or TemptAsian.

I do find it interesting, however, that most of the new good Chinese restaurants in the area are indeed Sichuan focused, and wonder if this is a side effect of the enormous increase in popularity of Sichuan and Hunan cuisine in China itself. Beijing and Shanghai are now awash in restaurants serving these cuisines, but why that would lead to an upsurge here is a bit of a mystery to me.

Raisa, Hunan Lion DID have a second restaurant in the Galleria years ago (with the first on 123) but somewhere along the line it closed. While their first restaurant doesn't measure up to all of the dishes that are typically raved about on here, it's still very good for what it is. When Carol and I dated, I would stop there an average of once a week for a couple of years and get take out. (She lived in nearby Vienna.) I liked it a lot.

There was another restaurant at Tyson's that ten years ago was excellent and much more "traditional," in line with what many would expect today: this is the Szechuan restaurant adjacent to Shamshiry. One of the scientists from the National Science Foundation arranged a dinner for 20 there in the late '90's; he was born in Szechuan province. That was about 15-18 courses that lasted close to five hours. To this day I have no idea what some of what I ate was. In truth, even now, I'm not so sure that I want to know.... But, it was really, really good. Some strange textures but wonderful flavors.

Still, I liked the Hunan Lion a lot for what it is/was.

Edited by Joe H

Went for lunch yesterday. I've now had spicy beef noodle soup at Peking Village (on Gallows), Jasmine Garden (near Peking Village), and House of Lion. The House of Lion version is very oily, served with hunks of carrots and fat but no beef (that I can find). I can't even drink the soup because it's like a vat of oil. Peking Village and Jasmine Garden both did a pretty good job. I also ordered a plate of shredded pork stir-fried with bean curd (dry/hardened tofu). House of Lion's version came with a ton of dried red peppers that didn't really add any spiciness to the dish. The dish itself it too salty. The chinese menu I received had no english on it, fyi.

House of Lion is now Asian Delight.

I pulled up Asian Delight's website just to check in, and it looked hauntingly familiar.

Then, I remembered Full Kee's website - it looks like Kydia, based in Rosemont, IL, has some local customers - they take 5% of each online order.

There are some grammar errors on Kydia's website, so I was wondering if it might be Chinese-American owned (regardless, they speak English one hell of a lot better than I speak Chinese). Here's what I got when I Googled: Kydia Virginia Restaurants

post-2-0-56269800-1439409494_thumb.png

As to why I'm posting this - this is neither good, nor bad; merely observational. I've used the website for Full Kee, and it worked just fine.