Sake Club, Woodley Park and Herndon - Closed

Sorry if there is already a topic for this place, but I did a search and came up with nothin'.

My Fiance and I went to this little joint on Sunday night to celebrate the fact that we had Monday off. This is the second time that we had been there and the second time that we have enjoyed our meal.

Generally speaking Woodley Park is a wasteland with restaurants catering to what I call, "the hotel people". Sake Club is beautiful inside, with candle light everywhere and soothing music playing softly in the background. When we went for our early dinner we were the only couple in the joint, but by 6:30 the place was starting to fill up.

We had sushi only, with the highlights being the crunchy scallop and rainbow roll. Also mad props to the fatty tuna. The presentation was lovely with lots of colorful touches to the plate.

We have decided that it now ranks as the second best sushi in town for us after Sushio-Ko and we actually may go there a lot more often since it is in the Hood.

Anyone else been there and care to comment?

Sorry if there is already a topic for this place, but I did a search and came up with nothin'.

My Fiance and I went to this little joint on Sunday night to celebrate the fact that we had Monday off. This is the second time that we had been there and the second time that we have enjoyed our meal.

Generally speaking Woodley Park is a wasteland with restaurants catering to what I call, "the hotel people". Sake Club is beautiful inside, with candle light everywhere and soothing music playing softly in the background. When we went for our early dinner we were the only couple in the joint, but by 6:30 the place was starting to fill up.

We had sushi only, with the highlights being the crunchy scallop and rainbow roll. Also mad props to the fatty tuna. The presentation was lovely with lots of colorful touches to the plate.

We have decided that it now ranks as the second best sushi in town for us after Sushio-Ko and we actually may go there a lot more often since it is in the Hood.

Anyone else been there and care to comment?

Okay, I enjoy Sake Club as well - but am not prepared to rank it as second to Sushi-Ko. IMHO, Sushi Taro gets that nod. I've found the service and quality at Sake Club to be for the most part good, not great, and sometimes off... However, I do love their sake menu - that's basically the perk that keeps me coming back, that and the proximity to my crib. Agreed on the crunchy scallop roll, it's my fav. Also, my SO likes the filet mignon dish on the regular menu.

But, if I have the choice, I'd head to Sushi-Ko or Sushi Taro, where I whole-heartedly believe you get more bang for your buck. (P.S. the salmon sashimi quality at Sushi-Ko blew me away... it was Like Butta...)

I stopped into the Woodley Park Sake Club last night, and got three orders of nigiri sushi, two pieces per order: Sake ($4), Hotate ($5), and Maguro ($6). All three orders had good, clean, fresh-tasting fish, generously (but not clumsily) cut, and the sushi rice itself was excellent. About the only thing that kept these from being in perfect balance is that they were slightly under-wasabi'd, but I think that's because our sushi chef noticed that one of us was 12 (that would be my young dining companion), and was probably figuring we'd add our own as needed.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I have really enjoyed the Sake Club in Woodley Park the times that I've been there. They've definitely put a lot of effort into creating a refined and tranquil setting, and once you're into the dining area you feel very far away from the busy sidewalk just outside.

They also serve Horin, a junmai daiginjo sake that's extremely delicate, floral, and easy to consume. Some of the cheaper sakes I've had at other bars are redolent of isopropyl, but this is the polar opposite of that.

The sushi, while not the absolute best I've had, didn't come with any mistakes. I tend to judge my sushi bars by their ikura and uni; if those have started to deliquesce, even slightly, I know I won't be back. I only had the ikura at Sake Club, but I had several orders of it (with quail egg), and it was excellent.

...which reminds me, did anyone else on here ever enjoy the marinated ikura at Makoto? I loved that in years past, and the last time I was there (maybe 2007 or 2008?) they had stopped doing it for some reason. Sorry to diverge.