Modern Times Coffee House, Upper NW

brr

This post is partly motivated by MeMc's recent DCist post on some recent changes to the coffee house at Politics and Prose and partly motivated by my love of their Roast Beef sandwich!

Its now under new management/ownership, and I for one, think that the food has improved. Its not haute cuisine but is a great place to grab a snack if you're in the neighborhood. As for that Roast Beef sandwich, its a fine thing, and reminds me of the hearty sandwichs you'd get with a ploughman's lunch back in the day in Ireland. Roast beef, lettuce, tomato and the ingredient that had me at hello.....mango chutney, on big thick slices of white bread. Very nice.

I can't speak to the quality of the coffee but my wife, who abuses the free WiFi there, swears by it. The tea is good and served in appropriately hot water with a long, kind of artsy-fartsy teabag.

They also serve standard breakfast fare, bagels, muffins etc....not sure of the source.

The wireless signal is indeed strong and free. I really enjoy spending time at this little cafe. Seems like a lot of people do--yesterday it was packed. There was a lot of table sharing going on.

For lunch yesterday I had the soup of the day (white bean with escarole) with the lentil salad (listed as a "side salad" and regularly priced at $5 for what looks like a wide, square Chinese takeout box). It's part of the lunch "special" for $8.25. Price-wise, I'm not sure how special it is because I can't recall the regular price of the soup. But the food sure is tasty. I'm eating the leftover lentil salad - French lentils with parsley, feta, olive oil, garlic, red onion and some herb I can't place - for lunch right now. It's so flavorful and perfectly salted (which is to say I'm not guzzling water as I eat it).

Filter is the best coffee house in upper NW. I'm defining "upper NW" as red line from Farragut North up to the Maryland border and including Foggy Bottom/West End/Georgetown. With Illy Cafe, maybe/not really Juan Valdez south of World Bank (and now Filter) the only exceptions, this part of DC is shockingly under-served with great coffee. We're over-run with Starbucks, Marvelous Markets and even worse.

While I know it's a bit lacking in the atmosphere IMHO the Baristas at Modern Times (Politics and Prose in Upper NW) consistently pull some of the best shots of espresso and make some of the best Cappuccinos in town. Now I'll definitely have to head down to DuPont to give Filter a proper comparison!

While I know it's a bit lacking in the atmosphere IMHO the Baristas at Modern Times (Politics and Prose in Upper NW) consistently pull some of the best shots of espresso and make some of the best Cappuccinos in town. Now I'll definitely have to head down to DuPont to give Filter a proper comparison!

I like Modern Times but think it different in a couple of important ways from Filter and others. First, it's a bit less coffee obsessed (if you care about that). Good coffee but the folks at Filter are religious about it and it shows in their mix and focus. Second, I've had different experiences with the staff--sometimes have been treated with serious indifference with just a few exceptions of friendlier service. Third and finally, was kind of a bummer they took all the outlets out of their walls (except at the bar area) as their odd (IMO) way of deterring squatters. Seems kind of as silly as the Buzz thread where someone reported a prohibition against ereaders. But Politics & Prose positively rocks as a bookstore so, when I'm there, I'll head downstairs and grab a cup. I'd just never head there specifically for coffee. And, it is way easier to get a seat at Modern Times than at Filter.

I usually get coffee here, but I'm typing this while sipping an Iced Chai Latte ($3.72, soy milk .45 extra), and it's like a drug. All the barrista did was pour the pre-made tea out of a pitcher, and the entire drink was finished in about ten seconds - does anyone know about how long pre-made tea stays fresh, and have a good recipe? I want to start making this exact same drink at home. (Please start a thread in Shopping and Cooking if you do.) Also, there's something about the soy milk that gives it a slightly malty-tasting oomph.

Soup of the day is Black Bean and Spinach (vegan). I'll bet Modern Times wishes they had more seating space because given the fixed cost of Politics and Prose upstairs, the relatively expensive items (everything seems to cost a dollar too much), and the steady, all-day-long customers, I'm sure they do quite well. For the first time today, I saw a sign on the entrance asking squatters to please be mindful during prime-time hours.

So this place is so cool. Ceremony Coffee, Little Red Fox open faced toasts, Bullfrog Bagels, and assorted pastries. Seating is generous, and you have a independent bookstore at your fingertips. Beer and wine, so it may be my new local soon.

No longer named Modern Times, it has been rebranded as The Den, as the Little Red Fox executes the operations here.  Opening ceremony included a Happy Hour, and I am impressed they serve 3 Stars Peppercorn Saison here, as well as glasses of wine for $8.  Charcuterie and cheese available, as well as some desserts.