Reston Kabob, Afghan Kabob House on Sunrise Valley Drive - Closed Jul 31, 2015

Bill, did you ever have the pizza at Marie's? I much prefer Cafesano overall but Marie's had very good pizza for a strip shopping center.

Never did. I normally ordered the Gyro platter. Not bad, although I stopped going all that often once Reston Kabob opened.

Sorry all but no pizzas on the current menu. As to the relationship with other places called Mykonos have no idea, but I doubt that there is one. I'll try and remember to ask the next time I'm there.

This is just around the corner from the house so the hubby and i will probably be there later in the week for lunch.

Bill's ("bilrus") recommendation of Reston Kebob is a really good one...

I stopped by Reston Kabob today and picked up a gyro and quite honestly had to be the best thing I've eaten in a long time. Maybe I don't know a good gyro when I eat one, but this went way beyond the usual dried out pita stuffed with mystery meat that you get at most places. The meat was very well seasoned, juicy and tender. When I walked back into the office, the aroma instantly turned everyone's head. We then went on to have the usual discussion as to what the proper pronounciation of "gyro" is. Honestly, I had to reference answers.com which I believe has it wrong. :)

The kebabs here are not bad, but, there used to be a little deli/Kabob House in Oakton that I would go to once a week. oh my - almost as good as Moby Dick. I don't recall the name, I just called it Kabob Heaven. It's gone now (it was in the Blockbuster plaza in Oakton, not too far from Giant).

My job has moved from Georgetown to Reston, so you can perhaps imagine how mad I am about my decreased lunch options. I hate chains, I hate having to drive everywhere, I hate knowing that every office within 10 miles is going to empty at noon and try to cram into the same three parking lots where the Lords of Reston Planning deigned to put a cluster of something that, for once, is not an office building, parking lot, or toll booth.

Now that's out of the way. I was so happy to find Reston Kabob through DR.com. Putting the yoghurt sauce in squeeze bottles was an excellent idea, I never really get enough at Moby's. Had the chicken this time- next time I think I'll try the buffet and report back.

Now, other than Cafesano, where the hell else can I eat in Reston without getting the urge to punch someone in the throat?

I suspect most readers of this have never heard of Reston Kabob, much less been there (you have to really be looking for it to find it).

Recently, I've been to Crystal City's Kabob Palace several times (they're open 24 hours, and I've been working into the wee hours of the morning - even went at 5 AM once). Although what I've had at Kabob Palace has ranged from "good" to "average," even the very best item would fall short in a comparison with the terrific dinner I had at Reston Kabob last night.

I'm not quite sure what, exactly, Reston Kabob is (other than a kabob house). It has a nice little website, advertising that they serve only Halal meat, has been open for ten years, but it doesn't come across to me as Persian, Pakistani, or really of any particular nationality, although some websites list it as Afghan. I asked for Must-o-Kheyar on the telephone, for example, and the girl on the other end didn't understand what I was saying.

Nevertheless, any skepticism I had evaporated when I opened my styrofoam treasure trove. Therein sat my #5 Kabob Platter ($14.99) of Kobeeda [Tory spelling] and Chicken. It was as if a virgin had unzipped John Holmes' pants. The "kobeeda" was enormous, so big that it didn't fit into a straight line when triangulating the square container - it was probably a good 14-15 inches in length, with more than average girth.

Along with it, atop the mound of basmati rice, were about five or six outsized chunks of boneless chicken, and a throwaway green salad with lettuce and two slices of tomato. I made the mistake of noticing a drawer full of tubs containing white sauce which I mistook for yogurt, and asked for two of them to go along with my green sauce. Well, they turned out to be sweetish poppy seed salad dressing, but I was too late with the first one (which went atop my rice); the second went atop the salad, the green sauce went atop the meats, and a joyous meal was had by all.

Restonians rejoice! You have a fine local kabob house in your midst. I'm raising Reston Kabob to Italic in the Dining Guide.

I made the mistake of noticing a drawer full of tubs containing white sauce which I mistook for yogurt, and asked for two of them to go along with my green sauce. Well, they turned out to be sweetish poppy seed salad dressing, but I was too late with the first one (which went atop my rice); the second went atop the salad, the green sauce went atop the meats, and a joyous meal was had by all.

Don, if you only had the green and white sauces, then you missed the brown sauce, which is one of the main reasons I go to Reston Kabob over other places more often than not. It used to be incendiary, but is now simply hot. My palate is not sophisiticated enough to discern what is in the brown sauce, so I can only say that it is "really good".

A teenage male used to be at the counter most nights, but now is there less frequently. I believe that he is from the family that owns the place, but I was unable to determine his heritage/nationality.

Don, if you only had the green and white sauces, then you missed the brown sauce, which is one of the main reasons I go to Reston Kabob over other places more often than not. It used to be incendiary, but is now simply hot. My palate is not sophisiticated enough to discern what is in the brown sauce, so I can only say that it is "really good".

A teenage male used to be at the counter most nights, but now is there less frequently. I believe that he is from the family that owns the place, but I was unable to determine his heritage/nationality.

I believe I owe Mr. Rockwell an apology. I had not been to Reston Kabob in a couple of months, but visited tonight for my standard chicken kabob. They used to have a green sauce, yogurt based and with some kick, in addition to the sweet white sauce, but different from a hotter, brown sauce. Based on what I was served tonight, it appears that the brown sauce (not sure what made it brown) has evolved into a green sauce, not yogurt based, but tasting heavily of jalapeno or some similar pepper. Still very good, but not as complex/hearty as the two generations of the brown sauce. It is very likely what Mr. Rockwell had on his recent visit, and he was kind enough to not call me out on the sauce issue when he was probably wondering what the H*ck I was talking about.

A great kabob place for those of us out in the vicinity of Reston Parkway and Sunrise Valley Drive!

Lunch here the other day was filing and very good. I got the chicken kabob salad. Meat was well seasoned and I really liked it. The bread they serve you is good and huge. It was a huge portion. Everyone else's food looked really good here too, so I am excited to check out more of the menu. Not far from my Reston office and a nice change of pace from Good News Deli and Perfect Pita.

Another successful Reston Kabob lunch.  I go every couple months as it is pretty close to my Reston office.  I keep telling myself I will try the gyro.  Normally though chicken kabob salad is my standard order, but this past visit I switched it up and did the lamb kabob salad.  I thought it was good, but not better than the chicken kabob, which I just really like.  It wasn't tough or bad at all, the chicken just really goes well with the seasoning they use.  Next time Gyro.  I love their bread here, of all the kabob places I have been the bread here is so good it is hard to resist.

Agreed on the bread.  We enjoyed both the chicken kobeeda (mostly because it's made from dark meat) and the beef kobeeda.  Both well-spiced with the right amount of char.  The salad greens and onions were sad and limp though.  Definitely going back, it's less than a mile from our Reston office.