Zero's Subs, Ashburn

If you've been down to Virginia Beach, and are even remotely familiar with the area, you might've heard of Zero's Subs. They're a staple of the community down there and you can't really drive for more than ten minutes in the Hampton Roads area without coming across one. Every time I've found myself down there, I satisfy my craving for their "Grub Steak and Cheese," which is essentially a baked cheesesteak (in the non-Philly sense of the word 'cheesesteak'). Their website is here: Click Here

Well, I just learned this past week that they (along with Sonic, evidently) had opened their first Northern Virginia location in Fredericksburg around the Massaponax exit on I-95.

So, like any junkie, I slogged down mid-day I-95 south traffic to get my long-needed "fix."

Needless to say, they've got the traditional recipe down pat for a new joint. If you're headed south (or north) and want a decent gutblasting sub, give them a shot. They're in the same new shopping center across from the ratty-looking outlet shopping center. It's pretty hard to miss considering there's a Walmart Supercenter and Lowes in it.

And for recommendations for the Grub S&C, this is my preference: Lettuce, Tomato, Extra Raw Onion, Extra Cheese (makes a difference), Spices, Oil (no vinegar), and Extra Mayo. It's heavenly - and as much of a staple of my childhood as anything else, having grown up half of my life in VA Beach courtesy of the US Navy's whims. Zero's is like Blimpie's without the excessive salt and spice to mask their use of crappy meat.

Perhaps it's best that they're two hours round trip away, because if Zero's expands en masse up here in the "proper" NoVA area, I'll probably be dead by the time I turn 30.

I heard the Fredericksburg Zero's has closed - is there one at 20th and K downtown, and has anyone tried it?

Yes, the Fredericksburg store has been closed for some time. I got a phone number for the DC one a while ago but never called it until about two weeks ago. It came up disconnected with "no further information."

Secondly, a look on their website shows a pretty hefty reconsolidation within Virginia. Most of their Richmond stores are now closed. Closest one to the DC area looks way the hell down Route 29 where it meets I-81. I love their S&C, but I'm not about to drive three hours one way over a state road to get one.

There's a brand new shopping center in Ashburn at Belmont Green...there's already a Bloom grocery store but there's also a sign for a Zero's Subs and a Ledo's Pizza which haven't opened yet. Space is already built out but not sure when the expected openings are.

Where *EXACTLY* is this shopping center in Ashburn?

This is the address for the shopping center:

Village Center at Belmont Greene

42920 Piccadilly Plaza

Ashburn, Virginia 20147

Belmont Greene is located off of Belmont Ridge Road - equidistant (give or take) between Rt. 7 and the Greenway. I've never tried Zero's Subs and would've never given it a second thought if I didn't see this thread...but if you're in Vienna, this is obviously a lot closer than Fredericksburg for you.

This is the address for the shopping center:

Village Center at Belmont Greene

42920 Piccadilly Plaza

Ashburn, Virginia 20147

Belmont Greene is located off of Belmont Ridge Road - equidistant (give or take) between Rt. 7 and the Greenway. I've never tried Zero's Subs and would've never given it a second thought if I didn't see this thread...but if you're in Vienna, this is obviously a lot closer than Fredericksburg for you.

Considering the closest one at present is in Richmond, and it's the only one left...it's definitely a lot closer than that.

There's nothing especially special about this place, the baked steak and cheese is just different and better than someplace like Jerry's, for instance. Like I wrote in the original thread, the Grub Steak and Cheese is really just sort of like a "steakum" sub, only made with better meat.

EDIT: Seems they're opening in April - http://zerosnova.com/