Hawaiian Scoop, Michelle and Luis Alvarado's Hawaiian-Style Ice Cream in Ashburn - Closed

So, a little birdy tells me that this past week, a couple of ex-telecom guys opened a scoop shop in Ashburn that specializes in some kind of Hawaiian ice cream that's supposed to be less sweet, but more fruity. "Hawaiian Scoop" is located at 20937 Ashburn Rd., north of Rt 640 (Waxpool Rd/Farmwell Rd).

The ice cream is from Lappert's (in California?). Separately, they're also bringing in some kind of Dole fruit freeze that's supposedly only available in Hawaii and at Disney World. A friend of mine who used to live in Hawaii went to a pre-opening event and came back raving about it. That's all I know so far. Anybody care to take a recon pass?

This is probably Dole Whip which is served at the old Dole processing plant on Oahu. I'm not sure there is any dairy in it but there are plenty of thickeners that give it an ice cream texture. I'd pass on that and go straight for the Lappert's which is good ice cream but my guess is that it is the flavors and not sweetness that make it Hawaiian -- macadamia nut, kona coffee, and coconut in a variety of combos. They have an amazing passion-guava sorbet. I don't recall it being less sweet but it has been a while. I usually went for shave ice with ice cream and azuki over straight ice cream. When you have spent the day chasing worms and are more thoroughly brined then a Palena chicken nothing beats shave ice.

This is fantastic (where is that sarcasm simley, maybe this one? :lol: ). Don't they know I am on a diet and this is about 3 minutes from my house? Don't they know that this looks to be in the same building as the gym that I am thinking about joining?

There is also a Rita's Philadelphia Ice place opening in the Ashburn Vilalge shopping center not too far up the road. Two years ago, jenrus wanted to look into opening an ice cream shop in Ashburn. I guess there was a need afterall.

Hawaiian Scoop closed years ago, but was never given a proper sendoff here. I spent a lot of time searching for when it closed, but I can't find anything on the internet; nevertheless, here are two articles which will jolt your memory:

03/20/2007 - "Hawaiian Scoop in Ashburn" by Candy Sagon on washingtonpost.com

06-07/2007 - "Aloha, Artificial Chillers" by Warren Rojas on northernvirginiamag.com