Church Street Pizza, Marty Volk's New York-Style Pizza in Old Town Vienna

Located on Church Street in Vienna about a block from Bazin's, I was excited when this little pizza shop opened about a week ago, but was fully expecting to be disappointed. Paula and I sampled a few slices on Saturday and I left extremely happy. The slices had the appropriate amount of cheese, grease, and char that a good New York-style pizza should have. This pizza was as good as, if not better than, Tony's New York Pizza in Fairfax. Plus, it is less than 5 minutes from my house. smile.gif

Their menu is extremely limited right now, only serving pizza by-the-slice or as full pies (one size only). Their menu notes that they will also be serving calzones and other items in the future.

This Jersey boy's pizza prayers have finally been answered...again.

Stopped by yesterday, overall- great cheese pizza. Still working out a few kinks though. I like to have my NY Slices baked with the toppings from the start. Vienna's NYSPBTS, they make just plain cheese pizzas, then add toppings to individual slices during the "reheating minute."

Tony's in Fair Lakes has the full spread of pizzas to ohhh and ahhh at.

Interesting...when we (Pete and I) went they had some pizzas with toppings baked in already. So we had slices of whatever looked good. The varieties were limited. Not sure why it was different for you.

For the non-Jersey/New York girl I liked the pizza fine. I like their sauce better than Tony's. Mostly I'm looking forward to trying their calzones when they start making them.

Does anyone have any contact info for this place? Ideally I'd like to call in an order for pick-up before entering the seventh circle of Hell that is Rte. 123 during rush hour. A google and yellow pages search doesn't bring anything other than this thread up.

The sign outside the restaurant says the name is "New York Style Pizza By The Slice".

The carryout menu says that their name is "Vienna's First New York Style Pizza".

My credit card slip says "Church Street Pizza".

I picked up an order on Saturday and asked them to clear up the name confusion. According to the woman at the register, their official name is "Church Street Pizza".

The 3 pizzas that we ordered on Saturday (1 cheese, 1 pepperoni, and 1 mushroom) were all really good.

We've tried this place twice and have enjoyed the pizza both times. The one thing that drives me crazy is the unpredictability of the availability of toppings. First time, no sausage. Second time - had to check if they had green peppers available. That one had me scratching my head. But the pizza is very good.

We ordered from Church Street pizza for the first time last night. All I can say is - FINALLY - a good pizza place in Vienna. I am from Philly and really appreciate a decent pizza.

We had their regular cheese pizza and their white pizza. My car still smells like garlic from the white pizza. My kids said it was the best pizza ever.

If you are in the area, you definitely want to check it out.

Mary Michelsen

Both Blackberry and Google Maps failed us today...Church St Pizza is on the block north of Center St. Both maps take you to 115 Church St South, which is a hair salon. D'oh. Future recon.

Also note that Google Maps lists the address as 115 Church Street NW. The address is 115 Church Street NE.

Church Street Pizzeria

115 Church Street

Vienna, VA 22180

(703) 938-1155

Hours:

Monday-Thursday 11am-9pm

Friday 11am-10pm

Saturday 11am-9pm

Sunday 12pm-8pm

Slice Price $1.75

Toppings $0.35/each

16' Pies $10.25

Toppings $40/each

Extra cheese $1.75

Pretty damn good. Much better than I expected. Had one slice just to test it out, had to have another one because the first one was sooo good.

Definitely one of the best New York style 'by the slice' places in the DC metro area, if not the best. It's nothing artistic, but it's a really good slice.

Definitely one of the best New York style 'by the slice' places in the DC metro area, if not the best. It's nothing artistic, but it's a really good slice.

For the 2 1/2 years we've been open, I've heard about the concept. Haven't been yet, Marty took over the Vienna Inn from Marys grandfolks (maybe 5+ years ago?), I look forward to my next chili run.

Tried it for the first time tonight.....after recently visiting John's in NYC and having an excellent char crust experience, I was disappointed. I would still vote the Italian Store and Two Amys (different animals, but top of their respective classes) as best in the area. The crust was sadly underdone and a bit doughy even at the edge. I will try again, but not too hopeful at this point.

Tried it for the first time tonight.....after recently visiting John's in NYC and having an excellent char crust experience, I was disappointed. I would still vote the Italian Store and Two Amys (different animals, but top of their respective classes) as best in the area. The crust was sadly underdone and a bit doughy even at the edge. I will try again, but not too hopeful at this point.

Wow, I'm surprised. We've had consistently good crust from Church Street. They are pretty friendly and I've asked them during rush times (weekends) to make sure the pie stays in the oven for a few extra minutes. They've always obliged. I usually don't order ahead, but rather go and wait. This was how we always bought pizza growing up in Jersey, so we could watch and make sure the crust was well done.

I finally made it to Church Street Pizza, which is down the block from my dentist. It was as good as advertised. Growing up in Brooklyn, I can say this is the closest to NY pizza I have had in my 30 years in Northern VA. Closer than Vace, closer than Italian Store. Good crust, good mozzarella and tomato sauce. Not as good as my memories of the pizza of Flatbush, but the closest in this area. Everyone seems to have gotten the word as there was a big line when I left at 12:30pm on a Monday. Part of that though was due to the poor gal who was basically by herself handling the cash register and heating up the slices. I wll return!

I finally made it to Church Street Pizza, which is down the block from my dentist. It was as good as advertised. Growing up in Brooklyn, I can say this is the closest to NY pizza I have had in my 30 years in Northern VA. Closer than Vace, closer than Italian Store. Good crust, good mozzarella and tomato sauce. Not as good as my memories of the pizza of Flatbush, but the closest in this area. Everyone seems to have gotten the word as there was a big line when I left at 12:30pm on a Monday. Part of that though was due to the poor gal who was basically by herself handling the cash register and heating up the slices. I wll return!

I agree. Church Street's pizza is the closest in flavor and texture to the pizza I had growing up on Long Island. I find the Italian Store's crust to be too thick. We always order a whole pie, so I'm not sure how the individual slices compare.

I've had their pizza a few times in the past few years and it was fine-good, but this last time the crust was bready (not thin enough) and underdone (very pale) and the toppings were sparse. There's a reason I get most of my pizza in Arlington now!

For future reference, your best bet is to order them "well done", which is what I always do, as most of their pies seem underdone.

A quick update for those who remember Church Street in its prime.  The sit down location closed about a year and a half ago.  Since then it has been operating out of the Lombardi's location for delivery and brought to the car carry-out only.  During that time it has gone downhill progressively but I think this week's pie is the end for me.  The dry, hard cardboard-like crust did not have enough sauce or cheese to add the desperately needed moisture (or even flavor).  It's really a shame because this has been our go-to since it opened.  

• Sad 2