Sushi Yama, Vienna

328 Maple Avenue W

Vienna, VA 22180

(703) 242-7703

Sushi Yama is a small, family owner sushi bar and restaurant in Vienna, VA. I live fairly close to here and passed this shopping center many times without ever stopping in. In the past two weeks I have dined here twice with very good results.

Sushi has many levels to critique. First and foremost is the freshness and quality Not only was the quantity of the fish good at Yama, but the quality was great as well. We tried many items off the Sushi menu as well as tempura, miso soup, salad and tea.

Yama is a reasonably priced, friendly, with good service and a family atmosphere. I can not ask for much more from a neighborhood Sushi joint.

My friends & I meet up here for a sushi-fest often (although less now that sushi is on my trainer's list of "only once in a long while" foods). Their pieces of fish are perfectly sized and their specialty rolls are really well priced for the amount of fish you get in them. It's a much better bet than Konami down the street in Tysons (and easier to get in & out of).

Scott, were you guys there on Monday night? I thought it might be you, but didn't want to say hi in case I had the wrong two-some. :(

This place is close to the office, but Blue Ocean is closer to home. Anybody have experience with both? Which is better? If they are simply different, what is the must-get?
I like both of them equally & would say they come up even on both quality & price point. Blue Ocean seems to have more adventurous (for a lack of a better term) offerings for by the piece & tends to have more Japanese patrons eating there than Sushi Yama.

Yep that was us stuffing our faces!

My friends & I meet up here for a sushi-fest often (although less now that sushi is on my trainer's list of "only once in a long while" foods). Their pieces of fish are perfectly sized and their specialty rolls are really well priced for the amount of fish you get in them. It's a much better bet than Konami down the street in Tysons (and easier to get in & out of).

Scott, were you guys there on Monday night? I thought it might be you, but didn't want to say hi in case I had the wrong two-some. :(

edited to remove a triple space before DR jumps on my case

I agree with the posting about Sushi Yama, but if you like sushi and live in / around / near Vienna - you should check out Sakana Sushi (just down the road on Maple Ave - #128). Familiar faces, excellent fish and a great relaxed atmosphere. Don, if you enjoyed SY, you should give Sakana a look. You won't be disappointed.

Best,

Dan

"I've had my fill of places like this."

After tonight's dinner at Sushi Yama, I'd lost one of my most trusted dining companions, at least for the time being. The latest in a seemingly endless run of mediocre-to-decent restaurants, tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back.

"I guess you're ready for a better restaurant, huh?" I said.

<Nods head.>

Fresh Tofu ($3.95) was ordered hot, and was surely cut from a tub, probably heated in water, sliced into cubes, presented au natural, and served with a good, salty dipping sauce loaded up with sesame seeds.

Kushi Pork Katsu ($5.50) was a plate of two veal cutlets with some peppers in the mix, breaded with microcrumbs, skewered, and deep-fried. The unfortunate, thick sauce tasted too much like Worcestershire for comfort, but the cutlets themselves were fried perfectly.

From the Soba section, the Nabeyaki Udon ($9.95) was a hot-pot full of flavorless broth, filled with overcooked, dried-package, fat noodles, and various other goodies like chicken chunks, fish cake, and vegetables. On top were a few pieces of good tempura which, along with the katsu, showed some real skill at frying back in the kitchen. But since the bottom half of the tempura was immersed in the broth, it was all for soggy naught.

From the House Specials section, Sukiyaki (an overpriced $14.95) wasn't much more than a sweetened version of the Nabeyaki Udon, with thin Ribeye and cellophane noodles. Both of these soups (I suppose you can call them soups) were bland, disappointing, and a chore to finish. I hate to cross nationalities, but compare these two soups with Pho Hot, A&J, or Gamasot for less money, and you'll see just how much these pale.

The one standout at Sushi Yama tonight was the fried food, but not even that was strong enough to call me back anytime soon. Service was polite and mostly efficient (our entrees were brought out too soon), and the friendly owner was there greeting regular patrons and captaining his ship. Taken by itself, the meal was pleasant enough.

But like so many places I've seemed to frequent of late, Sushi Yama is a decent, respectable, but somewhat tired neighborhood restaurant. One of my companions has finally mutinied, and I have to say I'm ready for a change as well: something really, really good - either down-home and dirty, or upscale and refined - we'll see where the wind blows me.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I hate to cross nationalities, but compare these two soups with Pho Hot, A&J, or Gamasot for less money, and you'll see just how much these pale.

Ever see Tampopo? Without a good recipe and lots of time, a soup is doomed to fail. Most neighborhood sushi joints don't have real sushi chefs, much less someone who knows how to make good soup. In NYC, there are authentic ramen and soba shops. Not sure if we have any in DC.