Food Matters, Chef Tom Przystawik's Gem in Cameron Station near I-395 - Closed

A true neighborhood restaurant, right in the middle of the Cameron Station development, started by chefs from Cafe Atlantico. A continuing gripe of mine is the lack of good neighborhood places in DC (yeah, there's 'bistros' opening up left and right, but they aren't attached to any neighborhoods). I'd be at Food Matters way too often if I lived here (One of the people we were there with was a regular who bikes down to the restaurant most nights... nearly everyone that came in seemed to know him. I was envious of his setup and the sense of community here). The space is split into a restaurant, wine bar, wine shop and takeout area. There's a 1/2 price wine by the glass happy hour from 4-6:30, which we caught the tail end of. I was having such a great time here that the food almost seemed beside the point. Some things were good (salad with leek and goat cheese in phyllo, clam chowder), some not so good (the aji amarillo sauce served with the chicken skewers, my well-done medium-rare burger). Definitely a great place to hang out at if you're down that way.

I am a regular at Food Matters. What a fun place! The friendly atmosphere is such that by the time you leave you are likely to be on a first-name-basis with owners, the other patrons and the staff. A rare characteristic inside the beltway! I like the fact that they post the daily menu on their website: (www.foodmattersva.com), and offer a creative variety of options using the freshest of ingredients. The fresh seafood dishes are among my favorites. Love the bacon-cheeseburger with fries! Soups seem to be the perfect consistancy. On Wednesdays, the all-you-can-eat pasta offering seems to fill the place up in a hurry. The wine tastings are unique, educational, and entertaining, and include some wonderful high-end munchies from the kitchen. Their private dining room holds about 16 people and is an excellent venu for your own personel, customized function! In warmer weather, the outdoor patio gives you a view of the Brenman Park Lake on one side, and sunset on the other. It's tucked away, off the beaten path, so I hope folks find it; it's a great discovery!

I am a regular at Food Matters. What a fun place! The friendly atmosphere is such that by the time you leave you are likely to be on a first-name-basis with owners, the other patrons and the staff. A rare characteristic inside the beltway! I like the fact that they post the daily menu on their website: (www.foodmattersva.com), and offer a creative variety of options using the freshest of ingredients. The fresh seafood dishes are among my favorites. Love the bacon-cheeseburger with fries! Soups seem to be the perfect consistancy. On Wednesdays, the all-you-can-eat pasta offering seems to fill the place up in a hurry. The wine tastings are unique, educational, and entertaining, and include some wonderful high-end munchies from the kitchen. Their private dining room holds about 16 people and is an excellent venu for your own personel, customized function! In warmer weather, the outdoor patio gives you a view of the Brenman Park Lake on one side, and sunset on the other. It's tucked away, off the beaten path, so I hope folks find it; it's a great discovery!

I had to think about the "inside the Beltway" thing, but I guess it qualifies-I'm guessing you live in Cameron Station? Anyways-how do you find the prices (given it's a suburb of DC and off the beaten path-as you mention).

(it's not far from me and I really ought to get myself there to check it out)

I'm pleased to announce the existence of Currywurst on the menu at Food Matters. Five bucks gets you a medium-sized bratwurst, done up, with a small mound of excellent little hand-cut fries.

Earlier this week, I got a couple grab-n-go lunch items, which were fine - the chicken salad actually tasted like chicken - but last night's dinner reminded me that this restaurant needs to be on people's radar. Roasted Amish Chicken Breast ($16) with honey-glazed carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy took over thirty minutes to arrive, but was worth every minute of the wait, with everything on the plate being much better than you might expect when you first see this place (the large, station-esque space reminds me of dining in Whole Foods, Fairfax, which doesn't really appeal to my sense of aesthetics, although it does overlook Ben Brennan park).

This Sunday evening Food Matters is having an All-U-Can-Eat fried chicken dinner for $25, which includes mashed potatoes, perhaps a green, and sweet iced tea. Seatings are at 4 PM, 6 PM, and 8 PM, and reservations are required (703-461-3663). If I hadn't already been here twice in the past week, I'd be all over this.

A surprisingly good beer and wine selection, too. Food Matters merits consideration for review by area publications.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Agreed...Food Matters is a great little gem in Cameron Station. Service seems to be usually (in my experiences) friendly and pretty streamlined. Food has been pretty consistently tasty. Please take note though, it is located right next to a daycare facility and across the street from a preschool. A lot of us parents like to swing in Food Matters after picking up our little ones for a bite to eat and a glass of wine, so if you aren't a fan of kiddies, be aware that there's a good chance they'll be around until 6:30 or so.

(I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from dining there early. They have good happy hour wine specials and I know they enjoy & encourage early dinner business! Just trying to inform those that aren't familiar with the location. :mellow: )

I had to share this email (I'm signed up on their list) because I just can't get over the price! The strawberry fest sounds fun too.

Asparagus Dinner and Strawberry Festival This Weekend!

We still have a few seats left for Friday night's Asparagus Dinner-here are the details:

Friday May 30 at 7:30 p.m.

Family-Style Dinner

Hors D'oeuvres

Asparagus Tempura

Grilled Asparagus with Herbed Aioli

Asparagus and Potato Frittata

Asparagus and Carrot Salad with Dill Vinaigrette and Baby Greens

Creamy Asparagus Soup with Grilled Amberjack Garlic Croutons

Roast Lamb with Asparagus Puree, Royal Trumpet Mushroom and Soy Saute, Steamed Rice

Vanilla Pudding with Local Strawberries and Almond Cookies

The dinner will begin at 7:30 p.m. The price of this dinner is an unbelievable $45 a person, or $60 with wine pairings.

Please call 703-461-3663 to make a reservation.

Strawberry Festival on Saturday May 31!

All Day Event

Our second annual Strawberry Festival celebrating one of favorite Spring Fruits takes place this Saturday.

Please join us for:

*Strawberry & Prosecco Fizz with Lemon Sorbet

*Strawberry Gin Punch

*John's Basil Vodka with Fresh Strawberry

*Non-Alcoholic Strawberry Lemonade

Strawberries and Whipped Cream Pancakes at Brunch

and more!

Available for Purchase:

Strawberry Perserves

Strawberry Butter (once you taste it you won't be able to resist it!)

Fresh Strawberries

Strawberry Coloring Sheets & Activities for Kids!

I work here and eat here. I will spare people from sounding like an advertisement, so... Don't forget the deviled eggs.

I don't work here, and I have no problem sounding like an advertisement, so...

...definitely don't forget the great Smoked Paprika Deviled Eggs ($6.25), which were served slightly too cold.

Or the respectable Farm Fresh Tomato Salad with Mozzarella, Basil, Olive Oil, and Balsamic Vinegar ($8.95), with surprisingly good tomatoes, a salad which could have used a little more oil, and a little less Balsamico.

The stunningly good Roast Amish Chicken Breast ($17.95) with mashed potatoes and gravy and kale.

Or its equal, the mild chile marinated and Grilled Pork Chop ($18.95) with zucchini-tomato gratin and polenta.

The fine little selection of wines, which can be purchased at retail, and enjoyed with dinner for a mere $8.00 corkage fee.

Or the patio, a nice place to dine in late September.

Lastly, don't forget to include Food Matters in your answer, the next time someone asks you what the five best restaurants are in Alexandria.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Food Matters is celebrating Oktoberfest this weekend (Saturday and Sunday, September 27 and 28). Tom Przystawik, Chef/Owner is of German heritage and is very passionate about German food and beer. It was really fun/delicious last year and I know he has even more planned for this year. For information call 703-461-3663.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I used to work there.)

It's difficult to have lunch at the bar at Food Matters, mainly because Clipper City, Victory, and Bell's on tap are staring me in the eye, and even one beer during the day makes me tired.

A Grilled Portobello Sub ($9.95) with marinara, provolone, and crispy onions reminded me of a good eggplant parmesan, and was served with thin, freshly cut french fries.

Those salty fries were a good contrast to the mild Quiche of the Day ($9.95), with house-roasted turkey, red pepper, and mozzarella, which came with two generous pieces in a homemade crust. The one fault of the meal was its side salad of mesclun which suffered from an overzealous application of balsamic.

And man was it tempting to walk over to Ben Brenman park afterwards and take a snooze in this 70-degree weather.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Two of us had dinner at the mostly empty bar at Food Matters last Saturday evening. Overall we enjoyed our meal and felt like if we lived closer it would be part of our regular restaurant rotation...

The Smoked Paprika Deviled Eggs ($6.95) were very good...creamy yolks, not grainy or chalky at all, with a really pleasant smoked paprika flavor. I know they are showing up on more menus, but I tend to think of deviled eggs as something aunt Matilda brings to a thanksgiving potluck. I would order these again if I was in the mood...Six pieces make this a good dish to share, as six for one person could be heavy for an appetizer, no matter how yummy they are.

I really enjoyed the Carrot Soup (6.95), which was carroty and creamy without being orange colored cream and butter, and the rice hiding in the bottom of the bowl added some contrast in texture. The fresh baked, warm roll was great for dipping. This soup warmed me up on a cold evening. Nice little bowl, not a cup size, and not an entree sized bowl.

For dinner I had Roasted Spaghetti Squash served over a veggie-herb stew with shell beans, butternut squash, fingerling potatoes and leeks ($16.95). I thought it was good...the beans in the stew were quite firm, almost a little chalky but just fully cooked, the potatoes were sliced into very thin disks, and overall the dish had an earthy flavor. Though I had to add salt, which I usually don't have to do. The spaghetti squash itself was ok, but I didn't think it had a lot of flavor. Maybe some grated Parmesan or something would have helped. Overall the veggie-herb stew made the spaghetti squash better.

My companion had the Grilled Portobello Sub with marinara, provolone, crunchy onions and french fries ($9.95). I didn't taste the sub, but my date agreed with an earlier post by Don Rocks, who said the sub is reminiscent of a really good eggplant parm. I tried the fries, which tasted like they had been sitting under a heat lamp a little too long.

Dinner overall was quite good, made better by the service. We were pleasantly greeted at the door coming and going, and the bartender was attentive and easy to chat with. If I lived nearby, I'd be a regular...next time I'll probably try the roasted chicken.

A symphony of summer flavors greeted me at Food Matters last night. With their focus on local, seasonal ingredients, now is a prime time to enjoy this casual, friendly, community-conscious venue where the menu bursts with freshness. One of the most rewarding items on the menu might be the build your own side plate, four items for $14.95. Wednesday nights feature all-you-can-eat for three varieties of pasta. The menu changes the first of every month, and daily specials further amplify the local agricultural prosperity.

A few things to note if you’ve never been before: the interior is spartan, think warehouse-meets-Ikea. Sit by the large, glass window walls if you can, they face the lake in Brenman Park. The bar area offers an austere but comfortable option, and sunny outdoor patio seating is a boon during nice weather. An ideal time to visit is on Sunday morning when you can hit the West End Farmer’s market starting at 9AM. (Make sure you bring your cooler with you to store purchases in the car.) Follow your market venture by walking down to Food Matters for the richly rewarding brunch menu. Partake in exceptional pancakes with seasonal fruit, house made granola, worth-every-lipitor quiche, or other specials of the day. As with the menu during the rest of the week, it’s not inexpensive, but exceptional quality, mindful preparation, and supporting local farmers rewards your investment.

But back to last night. After a long day of hiking and other travels, I sought lighter fare. A soup of the day, chilled cucumber dill, swept my palate with silken texture, bracing coolness, and lingering, sweet herb. A masterful zucchini cake appetizer followed, topped with a light cilantro cream sauce and sparse crumbles of feta. The added salt kick from the feta elevated this dish to complete sensory satisfaction.

When local farms are bursting with abundance, Food Matters offers a respectful enclave to honor the bounty and beauty of summer.

I'm glad that my final restaurant post of 2009 is about one of my favorites, Food Matters.

Last night I stopped into the bar and had a perfectly breaded and fried Pork Schnitzel ($18.95), served with sage-roasted squash, and mashed potatoes and gravy. I went with their suggested pairing of the 2007 Jean Touzot Macon Villages Chardonnay ($7), and it worked like a charm.

After finishing every bite of this coarse, almost Teutonic, exemplar of fried pork, I was by no means hungry, but couldn't resist backtracking and ordering an appetizer, the astonishing Shredded Vegetable Pancake ($5.95) - a simple hash of shredded cabbage, carrots, sweet potato and garlic, fried Egg Foo Yung-style, and topped with a matrix-squirt of soy mayonnaise. When I think of how many scallion pancakes and such I've had over the years, virtually none of them can compare to this simple-yet-perfect rendition.

In this post, I said that "Open Kitchen reminds me of Food Matters more than any other area restaurant, although Open Kitchen has a lot to prove to me before I would consider it a peer qualitatively." The second part of that sentence is quite an understatement, and comparing the two restaurants at this point simply isn't fair to Food Matters. In terms of the actual food (both the recipes and the execution), Food Matters is closer to the old Colorado Kitchen than any other restaurant in the area, and coming from me, that is a high compliment. I don't know if Gillian Clark has ever eaten here, or if the Przystawiks ever ate there, but I'm willing to bet that these chefs would have the utmost of respect for each other's cooking.

I don't know what else I can say to tout this underrated gem of a restaurant, except to remind everyone that if you've never dined here, you're missing out in a big way.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'm glad that my final restaurant post of 2009 is about one of my favorites, Food Matters.

Last night I stopped into the bar and had a perfectly breaded and fried Pork Schnitzel ($18.95), served with sage-roasted squash, and mashed potatoes and gravy. I went with their suggested pairing of the 2007 Jean Touzot Macon Villages Chardonnay ($7), and it worked like a charm.

After finishing every bite of this coarse, almost Teutonic, exemplar of fried pork, I was by no means hungry, but couldn't resist backtracking and ordering an appetizer, the astonishing Shredded Vegetable Pancake ($5.95) - a simple hash of shredded cabbage, carrots, sweet potato and garlic, fried Egg Foo Yung-style, and topped with a matrix-squirt of soy mayonnaise. When I think of how many scallion pancakes and such I've had over the years, virtually none of them can compare to this simple-yet-perfect rendition.

In this post, I said that "Open Kitchen reminds me of Food Matters more than any other area restaurant, although Open Kitchen has a lot to prove to me before I would consider it a peer qualitatively." The second part of that sentence is quite an understatement, and comparing the two restaurants at this point simply isn't fair to Food Matters. In terms of the actual food (both the recipes and the execution), Food Matters is closer to the old Colorado Kitchen than any other restaurant in the area, and coming from me, that is a high compliment. I don't know if Gillian Clark has ever eaten here, or if the Przystawiks ever ate there, but I'm willing to bet that these chefs would have the utmost of respect for each other's cooking.

I don't know what else I can say to tout this underrated gem of a restaurant, except to remind everyone that if you've never dined here, you're missing out in a big way.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Wow. Thanks!

Teutonic? Well, I am the son of German immigrants.

I guess I'll keep the pancake on for another month.

Gillian and I worked together at Cashion's - when Ann still had the place. In fact, after Gillian left I became the Sous Chef there.

Don. Next time. Say hi. Please.

I still don't know what the hell you look like.

Thanks again for your kind post.

Don. Next time. Say hi. Please.

I still don't know what the hell you look like.

Considering that he must eat 75 meals a week in order to have the mastery and currency of the DC food scene that he possesses, you will be surprised when you meet him.

I'm looking forward to stopping in myself. I'm not far from you and I'm intrigued by what I'm reading....next time I'm in the neighborhood picking up olives and pita at Mediterranean Bakery, I'll save some appetite for this place.

The buffalo wings at Food Matters has come up a couple times in the Buffalo Wings thread and I thought I'd pass on information from FM's email today. They will have their wings this Sunday for the Super Bowl, and you can get them to go and eat them on your own couch! They are offering an enticing take away menu on Sunday in addition to the wings.

Just FYI :angry:

SUPER BOWL XLIV

February 7, 2010

Menu Available after 3pm

Please plan on coming early to get your seats at the bar!

Saints Fare

Red Beans and Rice

Boudin Balls

Andouille Sausage Corn Dogs with Creole Mustard

Colts Fare

BPT - Breaded Pork Tenderlon Sliders with Onion, Pickles, Ketchup, Mustard

Indiana Spaghetti with Onions, Bacon and Tomato Sauce

Sugar Cream Pie

Also:

Buffalo Wings

Black Bean Nachos

Our regular menu will also be avilable.

Please see below for catering options.

Superbowl Catering Menu

Prefer To Watch The Game From Home?

Order These Items To Go!

Super Bowl Platters

Small Serves 8-10, Large Serves 16-20

All Natural Buffalo Wings Tossed with Buffalo Sauce Celery Sticks, Blue Cheese Sauce

Small $60, Large $99

Deviled Eggs Traditional or Smoked Paprika

Small (30 pcs.) $33.95, Large (60pcs.) $59.95

Crudites Platter Assortment of Veggies and Creamy Herb Dip

Small $24.95, Large $44.95

Pita Crisps with Three Dips: Hummus, White Bean and Rosemary, Guacamole

Small $29.95, Large $49.95

Skewer Platter - Beef and Chicken - All Natural Meats w/Cider BBQ Dipping Sauce

Small (30pcs.) $36.95, Large(60pieces) $69.95

Petite Brownie and Cookie Platter

Assortment of Petite Brownies and Cookies $24.95(approx. 40 pieces)

Mini Crab Cakes with Tartar Sauce $34/dozen

Lump Crab Meat, Herbs and Spices

e-mail your order to info@foodmattersva.com

ALL ORDERS DUE BY THURSDAY 2/04/2010

I've had flippin' amazing buffalo wings at the bar in Food Matters. The menu changes monthly, so they are not always available for ordering. But I think they appear on the Saturday late-night menu.

I really wish they had these on the menu last night.

We have been planning a return trip to Food Matters for quite some time, and after an evening punctuated by the most ambivalent grocery store cashier I have ever witnessed we needed something to eat and drink. I hate to admit that I found this month’s menu to be rather uninspiring, but aside from the sandwiches nothing grabbed our attention, and in the end that may have been a good thing since what we ordered was absolutely outstanding.

My burger was perfectly made and one of the absolute best I have had in quite some time, if I had one quibble it would be that I would have liked the cheese a little more melted. As an aside I will need to ask for more garlic butter as it does the burger far more justice than the ketchup.

While I found my burger to be excellent, my wife’s pork sandwich was a work of art, a perfect balance of a richly flavored roast pork, soft but still evident onions, a provolone that made itself known without getting in the way, and all brought into a perfect balance with faintly acerbic pickled peppers. Prior to last night I would have said that the best pork sandwich in the area was found at Taylor, no longer, the Food Matters version would easily dominate that fight.

A trusted friend of mine who has been one of Food Matters' biggest supporters over the years has repeatedly told me it has gone downhill. I didn't want to believe it because I, too, have been one of their biggest supporters, so I plugged my ears and sang out loud (*).

But I went last week, and although I ordered very simply (too simply to draw any conclusions), the level of execution wasn't up to numerous previous visits.

One thing's for sure: their beer selection (and their bar) still merits a visit. A bottle of New Holland Brewing Company's Full Circle Ale, for example, was only $4, and that's not a discounted price.

Their menu is updated seasonally (if not monthly), and even though we only got sandwiches, there are much more interesting things on the January menu (Chicken-Fried Bison Steak, for example).

My young dining companion ordered a Roseda Farms Angus Beef Burger ($10) with Crisp Bacon ($1) and White Cheddar ($1). It was ordered medium-rare, came out medium-well, and was so distressingly like the Roseda Farms burger I recently had at EatBar that I wonder if Roseda Farms isn't selling pre-formed patties (they were both small, dense, and perfectly formed). Note: immediately after I typed that last sentence, I checked, and they apparently are (although I've also found out that EatBar definitely grinds their burger in-house; not sure about Food Matters). The sandwiches here come with one side order, and the hand-cut fries were average.

I opted for the Roasted Brisket Sandwich ($11) on a whole wheat roll, provolone, and tangy red slaw. The brisket itself was good, if a touch on the skimpy side, but the roll was so darned dry that it just made eating the sandwich something of a chore. My side of mashed potatoes and gravy was, like the french fries, decent.

But the best (or, now that I just got a text message less than ten seconds ago, the second-best) was saved for last: a Vanilla Ice Cream Handwich ($4) came sandwiched between two chocolate chip cookies, and was delight not unlike something that might come from Buzz Bakery (the parallels between Food Matters and EatBar continue to grow).

We had a window table, and I looked outside and saw a car with a bumper sticker that said, "No Farms No Food." I'm willing to bet this was the owner's car, because very, very few restaurants show have consistently shown proper respect and honor towards smaller, local farms than Food Matters. If this restaurant has somehow declined, the obvious reason is lack of business (it takes a critical mass of customers for a place like this to succeed, and it's nobody's fault but our own if that critical mass hasn't occurred. Please, please don't let what happened to American Flatbread happen to Food Matters - this is a restaurant that deserves your support and business.

(*) And I'm thrilled to say that the text message I just got was from my friend mentioned above in the first paragraph. I had previously asked her if she still felt Food Matters was in decline. Her response: "Actually, no. Last two visits have been stellar. Might be anomalies, but their new menu and some other changes make me guardedly optimistic."

Support Food Matters - it matters!

Cheers,

Rocks

Interesting to know. I had been about a year ago with a friend and we were both unimpressed with our meal -- things were overcooked / dry or dense across the board (when two choco-carboholics leave most of a shared chocolate bread pudding behind, you know it's far below par). I will say that we were there on a Tuesday night (they are closed on Mondays) and it was a very slow night for the restaurant, so I doubt the first string was in the kitchen. I will have to try it again, and later in the week so I have a better chance of getting the head chef at the helm.

I worked at Food Matters a number of years ago. I primarily left because my commute was lousy. I just wanted to say that it was an honor working at Food Matters. The ingredients were really fresh and of a rather high quality. Some of the other restaurants I worked at premade far too much food, Food Matters was fresh every day. All the best to Tom.

-t is true. June 30 is our last day. We thank you for your support.

It says a LOT about what a class act you are giving your employees over five weeks notice. How many restaurants wouldn't let their employees know until the day they showed up for work and the doors were chained shut?

(Warren Rojas has more details here.)

"It says a LOT about what a class act you are giving your employees over five weeks notice. How many restaurants wouldn't let their employees know until the day they showed up for work and the doors were chained shut?"

Perhaps my biggest mistake yet. Cooks and dishwashers bailing without notice. I'll be lucky to make it to the finish.

At this point the 26th will be the last day. Stay tuned.

Perhaps my biggest mistake yet. Cooks and dishwashers bailing without notice. I'll be lucky to make it to the finish.

At this point the 26th will be the last day. Stay tuned.

Today's brunch didn't miss a beat. The servers warned us that a few items might be unavailable due to reduced kitchen deliveries, but thankfully this did not impact our ordering plans. (Except that gorgeous-sounding cucumber cooler cocktail, which I should not have tried to order so early in the day, anyway!)

Fried Zucchini with pimentón aioli brought summer to the plate with honor. Ground beef skewers, with artful char, cooked perfectly with juicy intrigue. Don't forget to eat the lettuce leaf for this one--a final bite which soars beyond memorable with the added boost of meaty flavor. Biscuits and gravy, and a double-hearts-of-palm (select your own) salad rounded out the meal, sad to see all these fresh ingredients on a rapidly nearing countdown.

I mentioned the Help Wanted section of this site to one of the servers who is trying to line up work in the July timeframe. Restaurant owners take note: These employees would grace any establishment with their friendliness, hard work, and farm to table experience.

Food Matters has always been a class act. As the curtain falls, grace, dignity, and tastefulness through adversity are sure to prevail. Best wishes to Tom, Christy, Victoria, Gerry, and all the staff who rally to keep the pace during this final performance.

So let me get this straight - we announce we are closing, my kitchen staff abandons ship and on our last Friday we have our busiest night ever. WTF.

I applaud the chef/restaurateurs who run honest and successful places.

Our last night will be Sunday the 26th - chef's choice buffet starting at 5pm.