Mexican near Dupont Circle

ryant68

This is our take on the one on Conn. Ave above Dupont Circle. Once was quite enough, thank you.

This raises the question of where to get decent Mexican within walking distance of Dupont, or anywhere along the red line for that matter. I think Lauriol is okay, but the waits can make it hit or miss when you just want to drop in. I concur with the consensus on Alero after one take-out burrito a couple years ago. Where else is there? El Tam?

"Mediogre" food: Dreck for Shrek

el tamarindo sucks (not sure if thats what you were referring to with El Tam), but I would love to read about Casa Oaxaca. I have never been and when i think of mexican i don´t think twice and head to oyamel, has anyone been recently? is it worth a try?

el tamarindo sucks (not sure if thats what you were referring to with El Tam), but I would love to read about Casa Oaxaca. I have never been and when i think of mexican i don´t think twice and head to oyamel, has anyone been recently? is it worth a try?

Here are some thoughts on Oaxaca.

I don't think the place on 1724 Connecticut Ave -- Alero -- is that bad. Or for that matter, that good.

Mixtec in AdMo is alright. It's definitely better than L.Plaza, ElTamarindo, Alero, etc!

Mixtec is my favorite Mexican in the city, hands down. The Tacos Placero, the Taco platter for 3, and a Burrito (TO-GO version only) are my favorites. Chorizo with Cheese is good. Fantastic strawberry margaritas as well.

Forgot to say - it's located at the intersection of 18th and Columbia, on Columbia in between Pasta Mia and McDonalds.

First time at El Tamarindo tonight. Not bad. Tacos de Lengua de Res (Beef Tongue) platter ($12), and a Chicharron Pupusa ($2). The tongue was in little ~2/3" cubes, which meant it was a bit chewy, but the flavor was great deep beefy goodness. The pupusa was confusing: the pork flavor was mild and the texture was smooth, the filling resembling refried beans more than anything else. Again not bad, but confusing....might have been a miscommunication that delivered me a Frijol Y Queso pupusa. Will return, and frankly can't believe I hadn't stopped by before, considering the location.

ETA: the platter comes with guac, refried beans, rice, and a little fresh tomato salsa-ish salad. Everything but the guac was useless. Would much rather have just had the tacos and saved a few bucks, but so it goes.

First time at El Tamarindo tonight. Not bad. Tacos de Lengua de Res (Beef Tongue) platter ($12), and a Chicharron Pupusa ($2). The tongue was in little ~2/3" cubes, which meant it was a bit chewy, but the flavor was great deep beefy goodness. The pupusa was confusing: the pork flavor was mild and the texture was smooth, the filling resembling refried beans more than anything else. Again not bad, but confusing....might have been a miscommunication that delivered me a Frijol Y Queso pupusa. Will return, and frankly can't believe I hadn't stopped by before, considering the location.

ETA: the platter comes with guac, refried beans, rice, and a little fresh tomato salsa-ish salad. Everything but the guac was useless. Would much rather have just had the tacos and saved a few bucks, but so it goes.

It's a much better restaurant after 1AM and 4 margaritas. Trust me. :P