Saigon Pho Style, Herndon

Saigon Pho Style9.gif281 Sunset Park Drive

Herndon, VA 20170-5220 9.gifPhone: (866) 428-5401

CLOSED SUNDAYS

Post Review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...editorialReview

Saigon Pho is tucked away in a non descript shopping plaza in Herndon Virginia. There are only a few tables and the place was full when we arrived. After a couple of minutes, a few tables got up and we were quickly seated. the service was very attentive and we order (mainly of the Post recommendations). I was surprised at how broad the menu was and knew that we would be back to try a couple of other items. After a Tea and a beer to start we had the Saigon Creped Happy Pancake: Which (according the description) is a Saigon rice pancake folded in half and filled with shrimp, meat, bean sprout, served with fish sauce and lettuce. The portion is huge, more than enough to split with a few people. The crepe was soft in the middle and just slightly crispy edges. Inside was some shrimp and few pieces of beef and the sprouts! Wonderful starter and I would highly recommend this. Next we had the baby clams served with Toasted Sesame Rice Paper: Baby Clams with sweet onions, basil & chopped peanuts were all piled up with the rice crackers on the side to dip. The depth of spices was was wonderful and the dish packed en-ought heat for the the both of us. This was my favorite dish of the night. The portion was once again large, and we did not finish it. Finally we had a large bowl of eye of round pho. The pho here is very good, but does not have the complex broth that several other Pho places have (example Pho 75). That being said, it was still great comfort food and better than most Pho places. After drinks tax and tip, the meal came to $24 per person, perfect for a $20 dollar Tuesday, of a great meal and other time. I think the place is getting a bit slammed right now, based on the Post review, but Saigon Pho is a great addition as a true family run place, and in the burbs to boot.

Tried the place out last night with my boyfriend. Up until last summer, I resided quite close to Seven Corners and was at Eden Center several times a week and I must say that Saigon Pho Style is comparable in terms of menu variety, execution, and freshness. Having long been a fan of the baby clams preparation described in the Post, we tried these for a starter. Absolutely addicting, but not NEARLY as spicy as the Post described. Seasoning and flavor was still spot on - but I'd recommend adding a little of the chili paste or hot sauce from the table if you like it hot.

I ordered the large flank, brisket, and tendon beef pho. Absolutely HUGE portion, and quite tasty once I put all of my usual fixins in - but I've had better. My usual go-to spot for pho in my new area is Pho 75 Reston. Boyfriend had the grilled catfish - outstanding. Nice smoky flavor, and wondefully fresh and interesting accompaniments.

As expected, they were packed to the brim in light of the recent article. Given this, I still thought the service was pretty decent. Drinks and food came out very quickly, and everyone was super cordial. I will definitely be back.

Tried the place out last night with my boyfriend. Up until last summer, I resided quite close to Seven Corners and was at Eden Center several times a week and I must say that Saigon Pho Style is comparable in terms of menu variety, execution, and freshness. Having long been a fan of the baby clams preparation described in the Post, we tried these for a starter. Absolutely addicting, but not NEARLY as spicy as the Post described. Seasoning and flavor was still spot on - but I'd recommend adding a little of the chili paste or hot sauce from the table if you like it hot.

I ordered the large flank, brisket, and tendon beef pho. Absolutely HUGE portion, and quite tasty once I put all of my usual fixins in - but I've had better. My usual go-to spot for pho in my new area is Pho 75 Reston. Boyfriend had the grilled catfish - outstanding. Nice smoky flavor, and wondefully fresh and interesting accompaniments.

As expected, they were packed to the brim in light of the recent article. Given this, I still thought the service was pretty decent. Drinks and food came out very quickly, and everyone was super cordial. I will definitely be back.

Where's the Pho 75 in Reston? I like the one in Rockville.

We're aways on the lookout for good Pho, and are often in Reston visiting family. And since this place has other menu items, it will be perfect for the family get-togethers, since MIL prefers not to get the Pho but the rest of the family does. Sounds like it's worth a try.

Where's the Pho 75 in Reston? I like the one in Rockville.

It's in the KMart shopping center on Elden St. If you're coming from Reston, turn left from Reston Pkwy onto Baron Cameron - Baron Cameron turns into Elden and you'll find the shopping center a couple miles down on the right.

You are talking about Pho 75 in Herndon - of which I am not a fan. I was speaking of Pho 75 Reston, which is in the heart of Reston and NOT affiliated with the Pho 75 chain found in other locales. Pho 75 Reston is in the Tall Oaks Shopping Center, near the intersection of Wiehle and North Point Drive (the first one up from Sunset Hills)

Back to the restaurant we're actually talking about, which is Saigon Pho Style. We were in on Thursday evening, and while they're still super busy, the food is excellent. We had the Saigon Creped Happy Pancake as well, which is fantastic - even with all the fillings, the crepe on the bottom manages to stay impressively crispy. Although we'd wanted to try the pan-fried noodle cake, they'd run out, so we got an order of grilled beef with vermicelli, and an order of caramel prawns. Both were excellent - heck, even the vermicelli tasted good. I've never run across any that wasn't just a tasteless sauce vector, but theirs was good enough to eat on its own.

Honestly, I don't care whether their pho's any good or not - the rest of the food is more than good enough to warrant regular visits.

Has anyone been back in awhile? I went tonight with my fiance. Went in at about 8PM and found a completely empty restaurant. What I mean by completely is that there was no one else there and Mama Chef had her feet up on a table. I did not eat my meal of beef vermicelli beyond the first bite. Anyone that wants details can PM me. I had great hope in this place, considering I live on the Reston/Herndon line.....but after tonight I'm not sure I'll be back.