Fu Mei, on Gallows Road in Merrifield - Closed

As I left here today, I reminded myself to put in a plug for this little eatery inside the Great Wall Supermarket. Mr. Benjamin Hu and his wife, Ms. Ye are from Taiwan, and opened an eatery that offers more comfort food, or homestyle cooking. For $5.99, you can get a lunch box of two or three (sorry, I forgot which) items, of which you can choose from: lion's head meatballs, ma pow tofu, tomato and egg, dried bean curd marinated, pigs ears, veggies and much more that I can't remember.

There are also some menu items that include beef chow fun, wonton soup noodle, and other eats. If you want the typical Chinese-American dishes, they have a menu for that.

They also have roast pork, ducks and chickens that are decent.

For baked goods, they have breads from Vina's Bakery and other cakes from NY bakeries.

They also have a variety of drinks, including watermelon milk smoothie and other refreshing teas and such.

I couldn't find a topic already posted about this, despite my best search efforts, so I'm sorry for any duplication.

My mom puts in a plug for their stewed asian-style eggplants -- very soft and flavorful.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my very yummy you-tiao.

Fu Mei Chinese Cafe

2982 Gallows Road

Falls Church, VA 22042

703-208-3388

I've been there a number of times. It was a god send when my son was at Inova Fairfax.

I believe the quality is a bit better then Kam Sam in annandale but Kam Sam charges $4.50 (around there) and I think they have a bit more variety. However, neither place can hold a candle to the Kam Sam lunch/prepared food counter in Rockville. I was there on friday and the choices are so much better and the quality far superior. For rice and choice of 3 dishes for $4.75, it is the best lunch deal in the DC area.

Unfortunately, it is a long way to drive from Annandale and I only now get to stop by if I'm in the area. But if I'm anywhere near rockville, I make it a point. BTW, how is maxim for the equivalent stuff?

Soup

What? I am dissappointed? Didn't they also run the roast meat counter? Really love the roast pig. If you get there early enough, they'd still have the head of the pig which they would sell you. It was amazing stuff.

Hate to see the place go.

Soup

What? I am dissappointed? Didn't they also run the roast meat counter? Really love the roast pig. If you get there early enough, they'd still have the head of the pig which they would sell you. It was amazing stuff.

Hate to see the place go.

Soup

The roast meat counter is alive and well. A Soy Sauce Chicken ($9.50 for half) was warm, cleaved, tender, sweet and MSG-y, and I even got the head. X.O. Taste has its fans for roast meats (and I'm one of them for the roast pork), but late-night hours aside, I think I'd try Great Wall next time.

Cheers,

Rocks