Chinese In Dupont Circle

wyoming

Hello all and greetings from Wyoming. I will be in town tomorrow night and was wondering if anyone had a reccomendation for a good chinese place in the Dupont Circle area. The old bartendar at New Heights recommended a place on Conn. that was below street level on the way to the "Hinkley Hilton" from the Circle. Any thoughts?

Rick

Hello all and greetings from Wyoming. I will be in town tomorrow night and was wondering if anyone had a reccomendation for a good chinese place in the Dupont Circle area. The old bartendar at New Heights recommended a place on Conn. that was below street level on the way to the "Hinkley Hilton" from the Circle. Any thoughts?

Rick

Sounds like he was talking about "City Lights of China." It used to be pretty good; but, word is that it has gone downhill. "Banana Leaves" is an Asian-fusion place on Florida Avenue, across from the Hilton. You would probably do a lot better there.

Yes...City Lights was it. Thanks. Any general recomendations for great moderately priced places in that area. I get in late and will be looking for something close to the Hotel.

Bistrot du Coin across from the Hilton (just below Florida) is open late, has good French bisto food, and great ambience and, well, buzz. One of my favorites in DC for many years.

I would abandon all hope of finding good chinese in Dupont Circle.

If you want an Asian fix there are several decent Thai restaurants in the Dupont area (Regent Thai on 18th is solid), also the Straits of Malaya (also on 18th) and Malaysian Kopitiam (on M street below the Circle) can both be good.

City Lights is rather bland these days. Go to Meiwah instead for great food and service. It is above Dupont Circle at 1200 New Hampshire Avenue, NW., located at street level. Bon Appetit!

Below Dupont Circle. Connecticut and M. I think I prefer their food of the three discussed here.

I would abandon all hope of finding good chinese in Dupont Circle. If you want an Asian fix there are several decent Thai restaurants in the Dupont area (Regent Thai on 18th is solid), also the Straits of Malaya (also on 18th) and Malaysian Kopitiam (on M street below the Circle) can both be good.

Heh. This is snotty but I firmly believe it: once you get away from the Northeast and the West Coast, non-execrable (DC folks: think bullet-proof glass Chinese) Chinese food is a a rare and wonderful. find Our new friend from Wyoming may be fortunate enough to live near an excellent Mountain State outlet, but otherwise there's a good chance that the perfectly decent offerings of Mei Wah or Banana Leaves will do him quite well (as they often do me).

Do agree that Malaysia Kopitam or Regent Thai would be excellent alternatives, with a slight prejudice for the former. Plus, for a guy traveling alone, the proximity of Camelot to fine Malaysian cooking could be a happy coincidence.

Note: not sure what "getting in late" means, but -- despite popular belief -- none of the Chinese restaurants in Dupont stay open particularly late. In addition to BdC, Sette Osteria may be open late, if you want decent, yuppie-style Italian.

Cashion's, right around the corner, serves fairly late, as well, if you're in the mood for a pricey-but-often-worth-it snack and a decent glass of wine.

I haven't tried it but Banana Leaves gets good recs.I personally love City Lights but I recognize it is a shadow of its former self.

I think Banana Leaves is a little overrated, but gets points for being "Pan-Asian."

If you're looking for dinner after 10 at any of these places besides Bistro, you should probably call first.