ISO Back Issues of Gourmet Magazine - Any Ideas?

curiouskitkatt

I was wondering if you all had recommendations on where I could possibly find back issues of Gourmet magazine. I enjoy current food zines, but nothing comes close to the content  that was compiled  in Gourmet.  I would like to start compiling a collection of them if I can mange to find them at a reasonable price. Any leads are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cooking up something,

kat

Only one idea, and it's not a very good one: I used to have a surplus of National Geographic magazines (too good to throw away; too copious to hoard), and I donated them to a local library. What I'm saying is: You may want to call around to your local libraries and see if they have any for sale - sometimes they'll have surplus magazines that they'll sell to raise funds.

Alternatively, you could try eBay - you may want to start with a simple Google search.

We also have a Gourmet Magazine thread here.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

.Alternatively, you could try eBay - you may want to start with a simple Google search.

Google was my first stop. I managed to find some on EBAY, but I think I prefer resources that I could perhaps peruse physically before buying them. Honestly, I would by all of them, but that would make for a small fortune in shipping. I think I need to fine tune my request for old book stores that happen to sell back  issues of magazines. My first stop at any resale bookstore is the cooking section. Thanks for the tips!

on the hunt,

kat

I found this online:

https://backissues.com/publications/Gourmet

They appear to have back issues available as far back as the January 1952 issue.  The out of stock issues have a "Notify Me When Available" button.  I know nothing about these people or this service.  Maybe you could buy just one using PayPal to protect your credit card information and check out the quality of the product.  They are not cheap.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dcs said:

I found this online:

https://backissues.com/publications/Gourmet

They appear to have back issues available as far back as the January 1952 issue.  The out of stock issues have a "Notify Me When Available" button.  I know nothing about these people or this service.  Maybe you could buy just one using PayPal to protect your credit card information and check out the quality of the product.  They are not cheap.

My guess - and it's just a guess - is that this is essentially a magazine "junkyard," buying old magazines in bulk for pennies on the dollar, and selling them at a premium to those who want specific issues - it's a very profitable business model in terms of markup percentage; in terms of absolute dollars, it would need to be fairly high volume to succeed.

On August 23, 2018 at 12:38 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

I was wondering if you all had recommendations on where I could possibly find back issues of Gourmet magazine. I enjoy current food zines, but nothing comes close to the content  that was compiled  in Gourmet.  I would like to start compiling a collection of them if I can mange to find them at a reasonable price. Any leads are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cooking up something,

kat

I have a ton of them. PM me. (Okay, not a literal ton, but a couple/three boxes full.)

• Thanks 1