Ometeo a Top Chef Long Shot Hospitality Tex Mex place in Tysons

Gabe Erales won Top Chef and then I think he was fired due to sexual harassment.  Long Shot (owners of Dauphine's and Salt Line) then hired him to conceptualize and open Ometeo, a Tex Mex joint in Capital One Center in Tysons that opened in November of last year.

I finally went, with dog and kids in tow.  Unsurprisingly, the menu has changed since opening and the food on the menu seems much less interesting.  I wanted to try the quahog tamal but it's no longer on the menu.  The lobster tostada still is and it's delicious - please note the lobster is dressed but raw.  The fried cauliflower looks like nuggets, i.e., rounded due to batter.  The skirt steak and carnitas fajitas were pretty mediocre.   T

Even though this place is within walking distance and dog friendly, I just don't know if it's worth going back.  And I don't know if Gabe Eralse still has anything to do with Ometeo or Long Shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went back to Ometeo for happy hour and try some different food.  Happy to report that the Dancing Molly Oysters (served with clamato salsa and fried saltines, menu says mignonette but it's chunky and not very vinegary) are really good if you like raw oysters, especially at $12 for half a dozen.  For something refreshing, I got the cucumber salad, made with cucumber, watermelon, mango, jicama, vinaigrette and hot chili oil.  It was refreshing and spicy at the same time - definitely not very vinegary.  Lastly, the duck carnitas tacos were fantastic. Haven't had great carnitas in awhile - I'm thinking Mexico City, and that fancy place Victor Albisu had near Chinatown (Poca Madre).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1