Alfreda Pizzeria - Dupont Circle

On 6/18/2024 at 5:58 PM, mtureck said:

And, $21 is a lot of money for a plain pizza. 

The reason I asked is because a friend of mine - who has spent a lot of time in Italy - wrote me the other day and said:

“[…] Interesting!  Best pizza I have had in my life was made by a guy from Emilia-Romagna 

Second best might well be in DuPont circle”

• Like 1

The thing is, go to pretty much any DC restaurant making high end pizza these days and you're going to spend somewhere in the high teens to $20 range.  2 Amy's, All Purpose, Paradiso (just to name three places).  It's pretty much the going rate.  

• Like 3

On 6/22/2024 at 7:36 AM, DonRocks said:

The reason I asked is because a friend of mine - who has spent a lot of time in Italy - wrote me the other day and said:

“[…] Interesting!  Best pizza I have had in my life was made by a guy from Emilia-Romagna 

Second best might well be in DuPont circle”

Well, I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but they make a pretty darn good pizza. 

I braved the heat today and got their signature 12" Alfreda pizza, with Crushed Tomato, Fresh Mozzarella, Aged Mozzarella, Grana Padano, Wild Oregano, Cracked Black Pepper for $23.

Their website notes that they present  "an innovative twist on classic pizza by specializing in gourmet pizzas crafted on delectable sourdough bread."

I'll admit, I didn't detect much sourdough flavor or tang, but the crust was excellent. Perfect crunchy/chewy balance, which I prefer over the more pillowy Neopolitan style. 

The Grana Padano, Wild Oregano, and Cracked Black Pepper were very subtle...next time I'd probaly go with the Plain Pie for $2 less, which I'd imagine tastes pretty close to identical. 

The sauce had a fresh acidic kick and flavor, and the amount/quality of cheese was just about perfect. 

I'd certainly put it on par with other top pizza spots around, but after only one visit and a plain pie, I can't go so far as to say it's the best around. 

And the price certainly does need to be mentioned. $21 is a lot for a plain pizza, and the toppings aren't cheap either. If I were to get a Plain Pie with sausage and onion, which is often my go to for a new place, it would have gone up to $29. That's not nothing. 

I should also note that it's only open for takeout and delivery at lunch, although they have outdoor picnic tables available. 

IMG_0506.jpg

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mtureck said:

Well, I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but they make a pretty darn good pizza. 

I braved the heat today and got their signature 12" Alfreda pizza, with Crushed Tomato, Fresh Mozzarella, Aged Mozzarella, Grana Padano, Wild Oregano, Cracked Black Pepper for $23.

Their website notes that they present  "an innovative twist on classic pizza by specializing in gourmet pizzas crafted on delectable sourdough bread."

I'll admit, I didn't detect much sourdough flavor or tang, but the crust was excellent. Perfect crunchy/chewy balance, which I prefer over the more pillowy Neopolitan style. 

The Grana Padano, Wild Oregano, and Cracked Black Pepper were very subtle...next time I'd probaly go with the Plain Pie for $2 less, which I'd imagine tastes pretty close to identical. 

The sauce had a fresh acidic kick and flavor, and the amount/quality of cheese was just about perfect. 

I'd certainly put it on par with other top pizza spots around, but after only one visit and a plain pie, I can't go so far as to say it's the best around. 

And the price certainly does need to be mentioned. $21 is a lot for a plain pizza, and the toppings aren't cheap either. If I were to get a Plain Pie with sausage and onion, which is often my go to for a new place, it would have gone up to $29. That's not nothing. 

I should also note that it's only open for takeout and delivery at lunch, although they have outdoor picnic tables available. 

IMG_0506.jpg

Who knew that mtureck would be The One to issue the first credible review of Alfreda?!

Yes, the price is a problem, but right now, the prices are crazy across-the-board ... for perspective, please look at the Pizza al Padellino I had a couple weeks ago for €9.

But there is a solution. I'm going to post about a pizza that I've found that's just about as good as the Pizza al Tegamino (or Padellino, take your pick) I had in Italy. And it costs only $8. And it's in the DC area.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Who knew that mtureck would be The One to issue the first credible review of Alfreda?!

Yes, the price is a problem, but right now, the prices are crazy across-the-board ... for perspective, please look at the Pizza al Padellino I had a couple weeks ago for €9.

But there is a solution. I'm going to post about a pizza that I've found that's just about as good as the Pizza al Tegamino (or Padellino, take your pick) I had in Italy. And it costs only $8. And it's in the DC area.

That's funny...the best pizza I've ever had in my life was in Torino, although it wasn't in the al Padellino style. Never even learned the name of the place...it just had a small, purple neon sign that said "pizza" and a huge brick oven that dwarfed the small dining room.

I love me some sausage and onions on a pizza...almost as much as prosciutto and arugula or clams and garlic.  But @ $28 for 12" is 😱 (Plain is $21, sausage $4, onions $3).

At Crust - a prosciutto arugula is $18.  At Pupatella, the same pizza is $17.5.  I dare say no stinking economist would schlep across town for this pizza.  

4 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I love me some sausage and onions on a pizza...almost as much as prosciutto and arugula or clams and garlic.  But @ $28 for 12" is 😱 (Plain is $21, sausage $4, onions $3).

At Crust - a prosciutto arugula is $18.  At Pupatella, the same pizza is $17.5.  I dare say no stinking economist would schlep across town for this pizza.  

It needs to be emphasized that you (apparently) haven’t tried it, nor have you claimed they’re trying to be anything but local.

I live two blocks from a Pupatella, and haven’t been in over a month - I consider it “emergency pizza.”

• Like 2