Omakase @ Barrack's Row (522 8th St SE)

I've eaten here twice since April and am comfortable saying this is some of the best sushi and the best sushi experience I've ever had. As the name suggests, the restaurant exclusively serves an omakase menu which includes 3 small dishes followed by 16-18 pieces of nigiri. Chef Ricky oversees the sushi preparation accompanied by a host who guides your experience and offers an informative explanation of each fish and dish served. You can also augment your meal with a couple of other options, usually an uni tasting or a piece of Kobe nigiri.

Chef Ricky was the opening chef at Sushi Nagazawa in DC. Then he spent a couple of years at Minibar while he was getting ready to open this restaurant.

The sushi is outstanding. It's very traditional but usually incorporates one or two garnishes that enhance the flavor. I added the kobe on each occasion and it was well worth it. The best piece of beef I've ever had. Unfortunately, I struggle to remember the standouts among so many excellent pieces of fish and rice. There was a squid that they remove the membranes from leaving it a little chewy but not tough. Very clean flavors. There was also a japanese trout that incorporated some dried cherry blossom, that tasted similar to cinnamon. The chef uses a japanese red vinegar on his rice to highlight the umami.

What I really enjoy about Omakase @ Barracks Row is the experience of learning about the different fishes, where they come from, and their seasonality. It's a very interactive experience and both the host and Chef Ricky are happy to answer questions and engage with the customers.

It's just the omakase bar there, which seats about 12-14 people -- and they do a 5:30 and 8:30 seating. Last week, it was announced they were added to the Michelin guide -- an honor that seems well deserved. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Co-worker and I went here with our spouses. Many bottles of sake were had so the evening is fuzzy but I remember everything being phenomenal and very creative. 

But you know what I was sober for? Getting called out by the host when our party requested that we sit together. When we made this request, the host responded loudly for the whole restaurant to hear, that we were the last people there and if we had made the request when we made our reservations he could have accommodated us but now we are SOL. I was really shocked that the response to our seemingly simple request made discreetly received was a public tsk tsking. I responded by saying that I made this request at the same time I was texting the restaurant about @MichaelBDC's shellfish allergy, so I had assumed the request had been seen. My co-worker also noted that we were five minutes early for our reservation. The host did not acknowledge these points we made and was in the middle of telling us to figure it out and take our seats when fortunately one of the couples offered to move so we could sit together. This was absolutely bizarre behavior from the host and started a much anticipated splurgy dinner on a very sour note. I think the chefs behind the sushi counter felt bad and tried to make it up to us with a better attitude throughout the night, especially once we kept the sake orders flowing, but as blurry as the rest of the evening was I remember the sting of that greeting very clearly. 

Given the price, I wasn't rushing to get back regardless. But now, I can't even recommend this place. 

• Sad 6

I went here last summer when it was still a pop up that was only open a couple nights a week.  Back then the price was $150 instead of the current $180.  

Our service was fine, but I didn't realize the entire place would be served each course at the same time and we got there a little late (like 10 mins maybe).  Everyone was already seated at the counter and had dishes in front of them.  Fortunately there were two open seats together so there were no issues like above.  However, I didn't remember it until I read EatRunEat's write up, there was a little bit of awkwardness (and maybe some slight scolding/shaming) when we arrived and were seated and tried to catch up with the rest of diners.  They certainly didn't communicate that the meal would start at 7:00 sharp whether we were there or not!

Anyhow, the meal was fantastic and the quality was great, but the thing that I remember most was the high price of the drinks.  I don't remember the specifics, but the sake was crazy expensive with no "economy" 🤣 bottles, we started with a glass of wine, and then switched to sake.  We ended up dropping over $300 a piece and DID NOT have the boozy meal that EatRunEat had!

• Thanks 1